CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650

More
19 May 2009 17:30 - 20 May 2009 11:45 #292739 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
hey fish thats some nice looking hardware u got there post some pics when your done, and i read your stuff on geocities and im not offended by you not giving advice you got to make money like the rest of us, but boy you do some nice handi workB)
Last edit: 20 May 2009 11:45 by gorack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2009 15:18 #303431 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
I have received the CBX wheel and I'm now waiting on the discs to get started on the CBX kit. I figured out that I will need 330 mm discs in order to get the needed clearances on the CBX.

So, I have some time on my hands, some 6 piston calipers in my hands and a KZ 900 front end.
So I whipped this up. I still need to make spacers for the caliper brackets, but it is pretty much done.

Fish
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2009 15:22 #303434 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
Wicked, love spoke wheels with new style brakes and rotors. I am going to try something similar with an XS650 wheel and GSXR 750 USD forks and caliper this winter. There ought to be a section in the archives about trick break and rotor work.

More
07 Jul 2009 18:16 #305165 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
Don't let this awsome thread die because you hate me.

More
08 Jul 2009 07:21 #305310 by The Fish
Yojymbo! wrote:

Don't let this awsome thread die because you hate me.

Don't take it personally,

I hate everybody equally.:laugh:
Fish

I ended up putting 4 piston calipers on the front end instead. I'm saving the 6 pistons for another project.
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2009 08:58 #305393 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
Were there any smaller floating rotors that wouldn't require as much work on the front to avoid the speedo cable?

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
08 Jul 2009 19:14 #305531 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
Just saw this kz with floating rotors this past Sunday:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2009 19:15 #305533 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
Other side:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2009 06:43 #305617 by The Fish
KawiConvert wrote:

Were there any smaller floating rotors that wouldn't require as much work on the front to avoid the speedo cable?

For the stock calipers?
I dont know.
I usually take my style of "butchering" to the extreme. A smaller brake disc would put the calipers where the spokes of the mag wheel are wider and cause a different set of problems to overcome. There is a limited amount of room to work with (spokes to caliper/ discs to forks- clearances)and you have to be creative to use the room that is provided and to get things to work together.
Clearance will always be tight on the speedo drive side (on most applications). This set needed the raised portions of the stock disc mounting bolts machined off to clear the speedo drive.
My kits are made for resale, so deleteing the speedo drive is usually out of the question as it would only cause another "problem" to be fixed.
Fish
A blurry pic of the speedo drive side
Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2009 08:56 #305636 by gorack
yep know exactly what fish is talking about, im using cbr600 rotors and tokico 6 piston set up have the same clearance issue with the speedo instead of machining down bolts i am using button head allens, which arent available in a 10x125x 30:angry: so we are retapping the hub too accept sae button heads, so i know first hand the amount of work that fish has to put in to a set-up, to make it worse im using a spoked wheel and the issue is definatly the hub\spoke width we machined a angle on the back side of the calipers to gain necessary clearancing its gonna work but as fish stated there are some close tolerances example i have only .040 clearance between the rotor buttons and the fork leg:ohmy: i would have scrapped this projec but im too far in already, glad to see im not the only glutten for punishment

More
09 Jul 2009 09:56 #305645 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic CUSTOM FLOATING ROTOR FOR KZ650
Ok, thats what I was wondering as the upgraded calipers seem like they would be worth it, just can't do that without the floating rotors. Clearances are pretty close and I am wondering what it would take to weld on new tabs. Would that require a rebore on the lowers? That and I spent enough time cutting my front rotors and I would hate to throw that out and start over on a new set. Looks good though.

On a side note, would it be easier to swap out the front forks for a newer set? And if so, could you keep the stock wheel? All sorts of questions I have.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
09 Jul 2009 11:00 #305658 by gorack
as far as differnt forks go i would suggest a set off a zrx1100\1200 they use the 6piston tokico calipers, you would need the triple trees also a stock kz wheel could be made too fit spoked or mag the zrx fork is wider giving you more room for clearance issue you will have to have some spacers made for the wheel and the axel dia and lengh would bedifferent