Tire question

More
06 Apr 2009 10:04 #278861 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Tire question
I'd pull the rear wheel off again and take it back to the shop that mounted it. Tell them it wobbles and have them check the bead/balance of the tire again. Bring your receipt from the work and if they try to charge you anything for fixing their shoddy workmanship pitch a fit.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
06 Apr 2009 10:44 #278870 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Tire question
I just bought new tires and found that the motorcycle no longer follows the small imperfections in the road like it did. The handling is so much more predictable and stable.

I have heard of this happening numerous times, regardless of the brand or model of tire. As a tire wears, the center usually becomes flatter, plus there may be scalloping of some of the blocks of tread. The shape of the tire definitely changes. The camber of the road probably makes the tire wear more on one side than the other, etc.

All this leads me to believe that new tires with their perfect shape, is the greatest factor affecting the handling, rather than a particular brand or model of tire.

I have also found that higher air pressure helps the tire to resist tracking the grooves in the pavement. Any tire, new or old, with 38 psi will outperform older tires with 25 psi. Just my $$$ 00.02 worth.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
06 Apr 2009 10:44 #278871 by KZ700A1
Replied by KZ700A1 on topic Tire question
That's the plan! I just don't understand though, they've been in business since before I was born and I've never heard anything negative about this place. Mabye someone was hungover or had a bad day. Either way, looks like I'll be scrubbing grease out from under my fingernails again.

1984 KZ700A1
1982 GS550L (the L is for lady!)

Life's a garden.....dig it

More
06 Apr 2009 10:49 #278872 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Tire question
Everyone has a bad day, even the best. I know I've pulled some stupid mistakes (thank God while wrenching on my own bike and not something someone was paying me to do) that I can't believe I did. Might have gotten a bad tire too. Regardless of quality assurance programs sometimes crap slips through the cracks.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
17 Apr 2009 08:26 #282577 by KZ700A1
Replied by KZ700A1 on topic Tire question
So I got everything squared away with the tire mounting, but now when I use the back brake it feels like the back end wants to twist. Its not severe, but could be dangerous if attempting a high speed stop. Any ideas?

1984 KZ700A1
1982 GS550L (the L is for lady!)

Life's a garden.....dig it