has anyone changed rear shock height?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Feb 2009 08:48 #267750 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic has anyone changed rear shock height?
i wanna move my top mounts someday like mark1122 has had done.....why??...just cuase all the old early z superbikes photos show the shocks layed down forward a bit....and i guess it'll help......and look ricky racer too.
my 1981 kz1000j standard has the shocks degreed forward (factory/stock)as compared to my kz900 ....
the kz900 previous owner had some really tall/harsh rear shocks and when i got some correct size koni rear shocks and was switching em i noticed that the p.o's shocks were a LOT taller/longer hole to hole...i did not like the way the bike road with em on at all and could never get a feeling of confidence as i turned in... the bike felt out of kilter and tippy/shifty.. with the tall shocks...the picture on my posts shows the old shocks before i changed em out.... and how the rear has a lot of space above the 16" rim and tire...that is my 2 cents...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Feb 2009 08:51 #267751 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic has anyone changed rear shock height?
here is a shot with the koni shocks installed and i think it shows how the rear end looks composed and not so dominate over the bikes set up....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
25 Feb 2009 21:40 #268157 by chillz3201
Replied by chillz3201 on topic has anyone changed rear shock height?
I added a set off a 93 1000 Kawi I found at a junk yard. I am not sure what the bike actually was. But the shocks were an inch or more longer and have remote resevoirs and top and bottom adjustments. Its still wasnt high enough for the look I am going for so I had a buddy weld me up some tabs and my shocks now sit at just about a 45 degree angle. The ass end sits as high as any modern sport bike but looks so much cooler. I have had it this way for about a month now and I love the way it rides. I have also added clip ons and lowered the front about an inch and shaved the seat down. I have pictures coming...... Next is a high mount dual exhaust and 17 inch relace for the rims with modern tires. I cant wait!!!!!!