Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How difficult is it to change a front tire? 17 Feb 2006 08:55 #24476

• fergyfer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When I bought the rear tire for my bike from our local KAW shop, I asked what they charge to mount and balance the tire if I brought in the wheel. $20. If I brought in the bike? $34. It was worth the extra $14 for me not having to pull the rear wheel myself. There's a first time for everything I guess, and maybe some day I'll want to do it myself, but I do trust the local shop. I've lived here for 11 years and they were here before I was, and have a good reputation talking to the local bike owners. The techs are my age, and have been into bike mechanics for many years so I have no hesitation letting them do this kind of stuff.

I enjoy the carb rebuilding, and engine maintenance. I really don't enjoy tires and wheels, chains and axles and I'm thankful to God that I can afford someone else doing that stuff for me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How difficult is it to change a front tire? 17 Feb 2006 22:43 #24621

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Here is the link to do-it-yourself tire balancing:
www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/tirebalancing/

I have no idea how many tires I have changed, it's at least in the hundreds in not over a thousand. I do know it's a bunch :D

Forgot to mention that 99% of the tires I have changed were done manually, didn't have any power equipment.
From garden tractor to earthmover tires.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/02/18 01:45
KD9JUR

How difficult is it to change a front tire? 18 Feb 2006 01:19 #24628

• sakiguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Duck wrote:

The $20 is if you bring the wheel in. I have no clue what they charge if yo ubring the bike in. I only see $10k+ bikes coming in whole so it must be a lot :-)

-Duck

Guess I better learn how to take the front and rear wheel off. Looks like taking off the rear wheel may be a PITA more so than the front. I think it's worth saving a little bit of money though. Time to make use of that cheap motorcycle Jack I bought on clearance at Autozone.
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft