Tires Expire

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
06 Jul 2008 21:23 - 06 Jul 2008 21:24 #224561 by Sandy
Tires Expire was created by Sandy
For those that have never heard about this...take a look.

You'll be surprised.:ohmy:

(let the commercial play through,and the video follows)

Video

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Last edit: 06 Jul 2008 21:24 by Sandy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
06 Jul 2008 21:51 #224565 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Tires Expire
Thanks for posting that link Sandy.
Very eye opening, and hopefully will shake up the nay-sayers on this subject.

Did ya get a load of how nervous that PR guy from the tire industry was as he was being interviewed?
Heck, he gulped so hard and so many times, I could have sworn he was swallowing golf balls. :laugh:

It got me thinking though, we bought tires from Sears for Rose's Jeep just last year. :S
So I went out and checked, and thankfully they're fairly new - 3 made 15th week of '06 and one made 11th week of '06. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
07 Jul 2008 05:40 - 07 Jul 2008 05:42 #224591 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Tires Expire
The two most interesting thing I look for in tires, is the manufacture date, and how they are stored. The best way to store them is in a sealed plastic bag, away from direct sunlight, and so air doen't get to them. Be weary of tires on sale, and ones that have been sitting outside or inside in direct sunlight, this will age the rubber compunds cery quickly. If you are looking for new tires, as long as the date is about 1 year from when you buy them, it's OK. Had a guy come into work the oter day to change his rear tire. The bike was an '82, and the date code was 1581. That was the original tire, and you gotta know it was as hard as a rock!!! :blink: It's recommended to ride a bike with new tires on it easy for about 100 miles, so it can scrub off the "sheen", and it allows the tire to break in.

For air pressure, go with what the factory recommends, not what it says in your manual. Tire technology has changed in the past 25 years, and the pressures will be different than what the Kawasaki Manual states.

Thanks for the link Sandy!!!B)

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp
Last edit: 07 Jul 2008 05:42 by CoreyClough.

More
07 Jul 2008 07:17 #224612 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tires Expire
Overexagerated news hype as always. I remember when the same type thing happened back around 1982 when they "proved" any motorcycle with more than 20hp was certain death, "no way to control them", certain death even for expert riders. Had all the film, just like this time. Or the rediculous Ford van/truck recall where the cruise control wiring could get hot and ignite the brake fluid. Oh yea they had film of a truck with flames 95 ft in the air from brake fluid burning. Something to really fear there. I wonder what percentage of road deaths are tire explosions, 1 in 1000 maybe? How many of those due to "expired tires", 1 in 1000? again. 999 out of 1000 tire failures are because idiots never check there tire pressures and are driving around with 8 psi in the tire until it heats up and fails. See I got all these "facts" just like the news did, out of the blue sky as a guess. Sure nothing to worry about in the least, that's for sure.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
07 Jul 2008 07:57 #224620 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Tires Expire
Oh Ron..."Have a HAPPY period!":laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
07 Jul 2008 12:21 #224680 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tires Expire
CoreyClough wrote:

The two most interesting thing I look for in tires, is the manufacture date, and how they are stored. The best way to store them is in a sealed plastic bag, away from direct sunlight, and so air doen't get to them.

I'm so old I remember back when new tires came wrapped in a plastic "spiral wrap" that had to be removed to use them. When I buy MC tires and store them, I wrap them tight in a spiral wrap of Saran wrap and then put them in a dark closet. If air and light can't get to them, they won't degrade.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Jul 2008 17:19 #224745 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tires Expire
So. lets take a poll, has anyone here had a tire disintegrate because of age? Or know of anyone that did?

First time I've heard of it.

I bet they would really flip out if they discovered that large truck tires are recapped 3-5 times before being trashed :D

I'm willing to bet that there are many more tire blowouts due to people never checking their tire air pressures.

KD9JUR

More
07 Jul 2008 17:38 - 07 Jul 2008 17:41 #224752 by RonKZ650
That's why all new cars now require tire pressure monitoring system, because many people don't check their pressures, tires will run hot and blow out. Now maybe an old tire is more sensitive to this than a new tire being quicker to blow out which is a distinct possibility and of course an old tire is much more likely to have slow air leaks so there will be more old tires running too low air pressure than 6 month old tires certainly, but you still can't blame the tire itself for lack of maintenence.

Last edit: 07 Jul 2008 17:41 by RonKZ650.

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
07 Jul 2008 18:13 #224763 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Tires Expire
steell wrote:

I'm willing to bet that there are many more tire blowouts due to people never checking their tire air pressures.

Won't argue with THAT!;)

And I have to say that ,NO,I don't know anybody personally that has had a tire fly apart from age.
It HAS happened though.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
07 Jul 2008 19:50 #224788 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Tires Expire
RonKZ650 wrote:

Overexagerated news hype as always. I remember when the same type thing happened back around 1982 when they "proved" any motorcycle with more than 20hp was certain death, "no way to control them", certain death even for expert riders. Had all the film, just like this time. Or the rediculous Ford van/truck recall where the cruise control wiring could get hot and ignite the brake fluid. Oh yea they had film of a truck with flames 95 ft in the air from brake fluid burning. Something to really fear there. I wonder what percentage of road deaths are tire explosions, 1 in 1000 maybe? How many of those due to "expired tires", 1 in 1000? again. 999 out of 1000 tire failures are because idiots never check there tire pressures and are driving around with 8 psi in the tire until it heats up and fails. See I got all these "facts" just like the news did, out of the blue sky as a guess. Sure nothing to worry about in the least, that's for sure.

Worked for a company that used ford vans, excluse like.. All three caught fire..

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
07 Jul 2008 20:37 - 07 Jul 2008 20:38 #224799 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Tires Expire
steell wrote:

So. lets take a poll, has anyone here had a tire disintegrate because of age? Or know of anyone that did?

First time I've heard of it.

Pick me! Pick me! :laugh:
I don't know of anyone who has had an aged, but new tire blow out on them. However, I witnessed first hand the tread seperate from the carcass on an aged rear tire (had only a few thou of road miles on it) and go flying off in chunks before the rider (the founder of the club I'm in, the Geezers) had a chance to pull over.
After examing the tire later that week, he found out it had been manufactured nearly ten years earlier. :S

I bet they would really flip out if they discovered that large truck tires are recapped 3-5 times before being trashed

:D

Pfffft! EVERYBODY knows that. :P :laugh:
Which also explains why every stretch of highway/freeway in this country is littered from those retreads seperating.

You'll get no argument from me on that one! :woohoo:

Most folks in my neck o' the woods seem more concerned about improving the outward appearance of their cars (and themselves) rather than maintaining them - basically they're just polishing a turd! :pinch: (10 points for whoever can name the movie that line came from).

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Last edit: 07 Jul 2008 20:38 by RetroRiceRocketRider.

More
07 Jul 2008 21:15 #224807 by RonKZ650
The polishing a turd line was in Christine for sure for one. I'm still curious about the vans catching fire though, was this the cruise control/brake fluid thing? I've often wondered how brake fluid, which doesn't burn, and is in a mastercylinder with 1/8" thick steel lids can catch fire. Now that I just don't see as a problem. Must be though.