What tires do you run?

More
10 Jun 2008 05:04 #219090 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic What tires do you run?
dnyce wrote:
i always hear good things about pirelli corsa III's and michelin pilot powers if you're fairly aggressive in the twistys[/quote]

These tires are radials and require very wide rims, in the 5" to 6" range depending on size. I could be wrong, but I think they are 17" only. My two oldest boys ride 02 & 03 GSXR 1000s and swear that the Corsa III's are the best thing since sliced bread on the track. Most of our old KZs need bias ply tires unless you graft on modern front and rear rims, and forks and swing arms assemblies.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
10 Jun 2008 13:00 #219165 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic What tires do you run?
Ok, I went and talked with the only bike shop within 10 miles from me and they want $80 to mount and balance 1 tire, whether the wheel is on the bike or off. Little outrageous in my opinion. Anyone care to talk me through mounting my own and telling me what I need to do it?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
10 Jun 2008 14:23 #219176 by dnyce
Replied by dnyce on topic What tires do you run?
Z1R rider wrote:[/quote]

These tires are radials and require very wide rims, in the 5" to 6" range depending on size. I could be wrong, but I think they are 17" only. My two oldest boys ride 02 & 03 GSXR 1000s and swear that the Corsa III's are the best thing since sliced bread on the track. Most of our old KZs need bias ply tires unless you graft on modern front and rear rims, and forks and swing arms assemblies.[/quote]

true, but he appears to have a gpz. thats why i asked tire size. im pretty sure radials come in kz sizes, i doubt ive got bias ply tires on my bike.

80 bucks is pretty steep. as far as mounting, no help from me, never had to do it. 80bucks over here mounts and balances two tires and buys lunch and a 18 pack lol

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
10 Jun 2008 14:42 #219185 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic What tires do you run?
dnyce wrote:

true, but he appears to have a gpz. thats why i asked tire size. im pretty sure radials come in kz sizes, i doubt ive got bias ply tires on my bike. lol

What is the difference between radial and bias ply?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
11 Jun 2008 05:52 #219307 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic What tires do you run?
My first set of tires were Avon and my current set is Dunlops Sportmax 208. I love both sets of tires.

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R