Remedy for squeaky brakes??

More
04 Jun 2008 19:37 #217982 by Nate77
Remedy for squeaky brakes?? was created by Nate77
Both front and rear brakes are squeaking badly on my '77 kz650. The pads on the front are still good but I went ahead and took the pads off, cleaned them and used copper permatex adhesive on the backs and they're still squeaking.

Anyone have any other ideas? It's driving me insane...thanks in advance!

1977 KZ650 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
04 Jun 2008 19:40 #217985 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
There is some kind of caliper grease sold for the contact points for calipers on cars and such. Maybe that would work on a bike?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
04 Jun 2008 19:51 #217986 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
Did you buy the cheapest brake pads? No offense, i do it on my cars.. The cheaper pads are semi metallic, meaning they have little bits of metal in them, and well, they squeak..
Bad.. Get the more expensive pads, maybe the members here will tell you what there made of, asbestos i believe, but i dont recall.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
04 Jun 2008 20:50 #218007 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
Sometimes it helps to sand both the pads and the rotors to knock the glaze off both parts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
04 Jun 2008 21:08 #218010 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
Mercedes first encountered this and fixed it by taking the pads off and drilling small holes straight in the face and gluing in graphite rods. It works, I did it once on my brakes but it's a PITA to do. ear plugs work better.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Jun 2008 21:10 #218011 by bountyhunter
violentvintagecycles wrote:

Did you buy the cheapest brake pads? No offense, i do it on my cars.. The cheaper pads are semi metallic, meaning they have little bits of metal in them, and well, they squeak..
Bad.. Get the more expensive pads, maybe the members here will tell you what there made of, asbestos i believe, but i dont recall.

I thought asbestos had been banned for a while now for use in pads. Now they just say "organic material"..... not sure what that means.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Jun 2008 07:00 #218068 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
You need stock Kawasaki pads. Don't bother with EBC, Vesra, or any of the others. You can sand, drill ect all day on these aftermarket pads, put brake squeel crap on them, spend a week trying it all and in the end they will still squeel. The strange thing is sometimes aftermarket pads may work and be quiet as stock, then when worn out you can replace with the exact same brand and the new ones will squeel so bad pedestrians are running for cover every time the brakes are applied. Kawasaki pads are expensive, but once in a while they'le come up on ebay for a better price. Another advantage is they last much longer than aftermarket pads, so the higher cost is not all in vain. No squeel and longer life it's worth the difference.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Jun 2008 11:50 - 05 Jun 2008 11:52 #218125 by bountyhunter
RonKZ650 wrote:

You need stock Kawasaki pads. Don't bother with EBC, Vesra, or any of the others. You can sand, drill ect all day on these aftermarket pads, put brake squeel crap on them, spend a week trying it all and in the end they will still squeel. The strange thing is sometimes aftermarket pads may work and be quiet as stock, then when worn out you can replace with the exact same brand and the new ones will squeel so bad pedestrians are running for cover every time the brakes are applied. Kawasaki pads are expensive, but once in a while they'le come up on ebay for a better price. Another advantage is they last much longer than aftermarket pads, so the higher cost is not all in vain. No squeel and longer life it's worth the difference.

When my first set of pads on my '79 wore out back in maybe 1982, I went to the dealer. A kid was working in the parts department. I said I needed rear pads and he didn't even move from his stool. he says:

"Do you know what they cost?"

I said: "No, what?"

I recall they were something like $90 back in 1982, which would be like $400 today. We both laughed out loud, I started walking, and he never moved from the stool.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Jun 2008 11:52 by bountyhunter.

More
05 Jun 2008 14:18 #218151 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
Front pads are "only" $115 at bikebandit for stock Kawasaki, so you either buy hi-tech earplugs or spring up the dough.:laugh:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
06 Jun 2008 06:08 #218314 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
I can't explain the physics but the squeel is basically a high speed vibration. At work I put a thin layer of high temp grease on the back of brake pads, this grease absorbs the vibration thus eliminating the squeel. Might work on bike brakes too?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
06 Jun 2008 09:54 #218352 by Nate77
Replied by Nate77 on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
I got the bike a few months ago so I'm not sure what brand of pads are on there. I tried the whole sanding thing too and it worked for a couple of blocks then went right back to sqeaking. I guess I'll have to break down and get some stock pads.

1977 KZ650 B1

More
06 Jun 2008 11:17 #218366 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Remedy for squeaky brakes??
there's one thing you can try doing. Take a small piece of thin sheet metal and cut it to the size of the back of the brake pad with tabs that you'll bend to clamp the sheet metal to the pad (make sure the metal sits flush with the back of the pad. Use the anti-squeal grease in between the pad and metal piece and then put the brakes back together.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)