Began my GS1100 swing arm swap tonight

More
01 May 2008 19:53 #210566 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic Began my GS1100 swing arm swap tonight
I must say I've been missing my bike lately especially on warm days like today. I did get the bike on the ground tonight. My new chain was a tad too long, but I removed a link and everything is great. I didn't get a chance to ride it yet, except around our farm. I hope to ride it sometime soon, and I will get pics soon. I wanted to take some tonight, but my phone was dead. Once I figure out all the parts I used, I will post it all here just to help out anyone else attempting the swap.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2008 21:43 #210815 by toadson
Got the bike on the road today! I road for about 30 miles without any problems so far. The Honda 350 shocks have rode better than I thought, but on the backroads the rear seems to be a little "floaty" when I hit lots of dips. These shocks are pretty worn, so I'm guessing a brand new pair, or maybe some shocks from a Honda 650 would work much better. I won't be able to afford any new ones for a while, so these will have to do.
Although it took me forever to get the swing arm on, I think it will be worth it. My old swingarm's bushings were burnt as a result of welding up a crack on the pivot tube, and the rear wheel had always leaned to the right. The GS1100 arm looks better and is much stronger than the cheap chrome swingarm that was on the bike when I bought it. The only thing I had to sacrifice was an inch of height in the rear, and of course time and money. For anyone looking to do this swap, I would recommend doing what I did and NOT cut into your frame. If you get some shorter shocks, your bike will sit an inch lower and you will not have any problems with the swingarm hitting the frame or any interference with the slave cylinder bolt head hitting it as well (from my experience). I am just someone who hates to cut up an unmolested frame, so I worked around it and came up with a good solution by just lowering the bike an inch.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I still have to come up with a chain guard, which I will hopefully figure out soon.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
03 May 2008 05:28 #210844 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Began my GS1100 swing arm swap tonight
Alright! Looking good Toadson!
You gonna be out and about with her Sunday? Supposed to be sunny and in the seventies tomorrow.

More
03 May 2008 08:41 #210872 by toadson
Well I'm supposed to meet with a group of students from one of my classes down at SIUE on Sunday to work on a presentation, so I don't know if I will be riding it around Grafton. I'd like to ride it down to school though!