Want to lower my 79 KZ650 SR

More
23 Jan 2006 18:52 #19554 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Want lower my 79 KZ650 SR
You could also use lowering links and keep your stock shocks. Basically they move the lower shock mount back two inches. My wife has some on her 650 and it dropped the rear about an inch and a half or so from stock. Like the guys said, drop the front a bit by lowering the forks into the trees, this will restore the rake and make the bike a bit lower still. And yes, shaving the seat works helps as well...

The ebay gods are with you cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KZ650-K...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2006 18:59 #19558 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Want lower my 79 KZ650 SR
here's a pic of the links installed

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2006 13:10 #19672 by froggy
Replied by froggy on topic Want to lower my 79 KZ650 SR
crewzzn88 wrote:

I want to lower my rear by using shorter shocks. I'm looking at maybe 1-2 inches. Could I do this and still maintain a safe driveable bike?<br><br>Post edited by: crewzzn88, at: 2006/01/23 00:48

shorter shocks thinner seat makes all the differnce did for me and drivability and comfort great especially if the bike is heavy with a big motor

More
24 Jan 2006 13:23 #19676 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Want to lower my 79 KZ650 SR
crewzzn88 - You have heard a bunch of good advice regarding lowing a bike. I would like to point out that you need to think about the age and condition of the shocks you are going to use and the size of your posterior. If you are fairly heavy and the shocks are weak, you will end up bottoming the bike on the rear wheel when going over irregularities in pavement. You will also fear speedbumps and potholes! If you have great shocks and are skinny, then a couple inches lower might be doable. I had a Vulcan 1500 and went from 13.5" shocks to 10.5" shocks. I used Progressive 412s and also lowered the front using shorter springs (Progressive fork lowering kit). Even with the good suspension bits, speed bumps were a terror as I actually would hit my engine pan EASILY. I am not skinny either hehe In retrospect, I should have given up style (slammed IS cool) for clearance somewhat...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!