is this a BAD idea (freeze water in caliper to POP piston)?

More
01 Mar 2008 16:27 #197807 by loudhvx
I know this was mentioned and I'm not rying to be funny repeating it, but wear goggles and keep your hands away from the pinch point if you are using the air method. My friend thanked me many times after I made him wear goggles while unsticking a stuck piston. The thing exploded brake fluid all over his face. It sounded like a firecracker going off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
01 Mar 2008 18:02 #197815 by mark1122
i used air on mine last night. and u are right . 1 of my zx9 pistons flew across the room. :woohoo: on the up side . u cant amagine all of the things u can find under your bench when u get down there.lol.:P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
01 Mar 2008 18:59 #197822 by baldtire
ice will expand in all directions and might split the caliper
try steam , put some water in it, seal it put it in a coffee can put some rags over it, pop it in the oven at about 300
give it a while, when the water boils somethings gona give, unless it leaks, then bake some cookies while it cools off

More
01 Mar 2008 19:27 #197832 by Bluemeanie
I've always used the air on calipers. Granted, being a mech I have access to 180psi, I always put a thin wooden block and cover with a rag as I apply air pressure. Never had one get away or spray me. Good luck...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!