fork seal brand question

More
13 Nov 2007 15:17 #180885 by genesis
fork seal brand question was created by genesis
I need to replace the fork seal on my 78 kz650, along with the valve cover gasket. I've been looking around to see who has the best prices, and they range from $11-24 for the fork seals. What is the difference? i don't mind paying more for a product if it is superior, and i don't want garbage in my bike either. I checked Z1E, and obviously they have everything I'm going to need, including fork dust seals. I need advice on what and where to buy if anyone has experience with these type of things. My wife is going to kill me if i keep having to put money into my bike. I guess i'll just have to keep the bills off the credit card:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2007 15:24 #180887 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic fork seal brand question
The Z1E parts will work fine, and you get to keep shipping costs low by buying at one time.

Put the ball in your wife's court; tell her you can either stay at home working on the bike, or go bar hopping. Let her decide. :)

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
13 Nov 2007 15:33 #180890 by genesis
Replied by genesis on topic fork seal brand question
just one more quick question since i've never replaced fork seals before. I've been reading up on it a little though. So to break it down to it's simplest, is it basically just:
1. remove fork tubes from bike
2. open forks
3. remove old fork seals
4. drain and refill fork oil
5. replace fork seals
6. replace fork tubes on bike
i know it's more complicated in all the small steps between, I just like to have an overview before I get into something:dry:

More
13 Nov 2007 16:07 #180896 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic fork seal brand question
I'd use only original Kawasaki seals regardless of price. The way I've done it in kind of condensed form is first loosen the top caps on the forks while they are still mounted on the bike, remove the fork legs, use an impact driver on the bottom allen head screw, (spring pressure from having the forks not disassembled helps hold the bolt from turning), after the allen is out, pull out the tube and take your top cap, spring ect out, remove the dust seals, circlip, and washer, use a seal puller to pry the old seal out, tap in the new with a driver or correct size socket and basically reverse order to reassemble. An alternate seal that may work may be found on another brand bike. You can look in Dennis Kirk catalog and see what crappy seal they sell to replace yours then compare to other motorcycles they list to find models that use the same seal. I found no-one had seals for a KZ1000E (surprise, surprise), but Yamaha Venture seals were the same and widely available for my KZ1000. You shouldn't have any trouble other than loosening the bottom allen or prying out the old seal and c-clips. rest is simple work.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Nov 2007 16:24 #180901 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork seal brand question
If interested, here's a seal puller tool offered by Z1E:

Seal Puller Tool

Good luck with the repair! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Nov 2007 17:39 #180912 by genesis
Just placed my order wit Z1E. My wife was more than happy to let me order what I wanted (maybe I should have gotten more:laugh: ) But you guys on here are always so helpful. I am so thankful I found this site. I have so many ideas of what I want to do with my bike this winter, and somehow it seems possible to complete it all.

More
13 Nov 2007 18:10 #180916 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic fork seal brand question
I hope Z1 sells original Kawasaki seals, otherwise you're going to get very experienced at the job quickly. Last aftermarket seals I used didn't last a week.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Nov 2007 18:36 - 03 Dec 2008 07:07 #180924 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 07:07 by JMKZHI.

More
13 Nov 2007 18:40 #180926 by genesis
I don't think they are OEM, but I can't seem to find them on the internet. I'm gonna try these out, and hopefully they work well. I would go to the local K dealer a couple miles away, but I've decided they won't be getting any more of my $$$. If they don't work out, I'll just have to take the hit, and go back to the dealership I went to back when I was a squid. It's about an hour away, but the servce in unbeatable (at least it was.)

More
13 Nov 2007 18:44 - 03 Dec 2008 07:08 #180930 by JMKZHI
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 07:08 by JMKZHI.

More
13 Nov 2007 18:48 #180931 by genesis
No, I know. My response was to Ron. I think we started the re: at the same time, but I got distracted by watching "The Biggest Loser" while I was typing.:blush:

More
13 Nov 2007 18:52 - 03 Dec 2008 07:09 #180932 by JMKZHI
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 07:09 by JMKZHI.