stainless Steel brake lines

More
23 Mar 2006 13:06 #33769 by kztee
Replied by kztee on topic Stainless steel brake lines
I like the idea of using the custom made lines from Earl's. Where is the best place to find replacement grommets to replace the two for the rear line on my '77 KZ1000A?!?

1977 KZ 1000A - Currently rebuilding
1980 KZ 750 LTD - Mostly stock daily rider
1979 KZ 1000 LTD - Parts bike and/or future project
1979 KZ 1000 ST
1980 GS 750 L
2003 ZRX 1200 R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2006 13:47 #33776 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Stainless steel brake lines
Just got home and started reading this thread; learned qiute a bit already. I'm curious about a comment from KitNYC about "dramatic improvement" after he switched to SS lines. What makes them work better, is it a larger I.D.? I've been testing out both my KZs up and down the road, and I can't get the front wheel to skid on either bike. Both are single disc...

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2006 13:59 #33778 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Stainless steel brake lines
the stainless braiding makes them stiffer .ive only got stainless lines on one of my bikes,ive never had any trouble with rubber lines in fact if youre changing them out box em up and send them to me ,i send the ones for mine out and get the ends plated and run em no problem.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
23 Mar 2006 14:05 #33782 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Stainless steel brake lines
Nevco48 wrote:

What makes them work better, is it a larger I.D.? I've been testing out both my KZs up and down the road, and I can't get the front wheel to skid on either bike. Both are single disc...

A couple updates from me re: the posts above...

I *did* buy from mgcycle.com, and they were awesome. They were a bit suprised that I was ordering from them since I don't own a Guzzi...

THe new front brake lines work amazingly. I suppose it *is* possible that I bled them better hen they were before, but I don't care - they work absolutely awesome.

The inner diameter is not the issue - the theory is that since the lines are so structurally sound, they do not expand when using the brakes, keeping more pressure on the brakes themselves.

Do you actually *want* to skid with your front wheel? ;)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
23 Mar 2006 14:17 #33783 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Stainless steel brake lines
No, I don't want the front tire to skid, at least not when I'm not expecting it to. I was just testing the stopping power of both bikes on my kinda steep driveway. I had some trouble bleeding down the 440 brake, but it appears OK now,
That makes sense about the SS braid making the lines more rigid, answered my question, thanks Guys!