shocks

More
27 Jul 2007 10:31 #160069 by fastestz1
shocks was created by fastestz1
im thinking about replacing the struts im useing on a 1976 kz900 with a set of shocks,i want somthing a little nicer looking/performing then a set of harley take offs or a generic set from jcwhitney,i found a set on ebay item# 270148539555 i like the look but not sure if they will fit or even take the weight of a kz,i need a set that measures 13.5inches,anybody recomend anything?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2007 12:35 #160101 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic shocks
I wouldn't go for those, they're not sprung for a 525lbs z and motorcross shocks wouldn't be a good choice anyway, too much travel and soft damping.
It's more of a budget thing than anything else. Marzocchi shocks work good and can be had for about $200 on ebay - try and get the nice aluminum bodied ones not the later, cheap steel ones. Koni or Ikon are out there too, they're nice as well. If you want to splurge Works performance or Wilbers are great choices. Progressive shocks are a happy medium I think you can have a set for about $240?

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2007/07/27 15:35

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
27 Jul 2007 12:52 #160107 by andoman
Replied by andoman on topic shocks
I second the Progressive units. I replaced the old stockers on my '80 KZ1000 and couldn't be happier. I went with slightly shorter units (.75 in.). I slid the fork tubes up to match. I really like the lower ride.

More
27 Jul 2007 15:44 #160139 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic shocks
hey thanks guys for the info,i found a set that i like from worksperformance ,they want alot of measurements/info so they can make them fit my needs,about 500bucks,not that bad think im gonna get them,they say about two weeks to make them up.

More
27 Jul 2007 19:38 #160190 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic shocks
I ordered a pair of custom-made piggybacks from Wilbers USA and this is what I got for my $500. They were custom-made because of my use of the GS swingarm.
Upon receiving the shocks I called Klaus at Wilbers and he told me that if I got the same quality shock with the "Made in the USA" Wilbers name on them the pair would cost me 3 times what I paid for the YSSR Racing shocks.
YSSR shocks are designed and produced (in Thailand) by two former engineers from Wilbers. I have yet to give them a test ride :whistle: :whistle: :sick: :sick: but the damn things look fantastic!B)

Post edited by: kzrider, at: 2007/07/28 15:59

More
27 Jul 2007 20:41 #160204 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic shocks
inline4 they sure do look fantastic!

More
28 Jul 2007 02:49 #160252 by Joozz
Replied by Joozz on topic shocks
Where did you bought the YSSR Racing shocks ?

More
28 Jul 2007 12:35 #160323 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic shocks
Joozz wrote:

Where did you bought the YSSR Racing shocks ?

Yes, please, I want links here- I am upgrading my suspension, big time, this winter!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
28 Jul 2007 18:54 #160380 by inline4
I mis-stated the name of the shocks in my previous post. The actual name is YSS Racing. Here is a new and updated link.
www.wilbersusa.com/

More
28 Jul 2007 18:56 #160381 by inline4
One more thing.............................
While examining the shocks I realized that the clevis bottom mount just unscrews from the shaft; meaning that the shocks can be easily adapted to a standard-type shock mount.B) B)

More
28 Jul 2007 21:45 #160440 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic shocks
I tried EBay but after loosing a few bids I decided to take the plunge and get what I really wanted. I used Z1 to supply and pre-assemble a set of Progressive Shock units for the rear and Progressive Shock coils for the front. To match my riding style, I went for the lightest weight possible because I was looking for a softer ride rather than corner hugging control.

I was really looking for all chrome units so the look of the all black shocks with chrome coils is less stock than I was looking for but fit better into my budget.

Mounting was OK but much tighter to the plastic chain guard that the originals.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2007 21:55 #160441 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic shocks
As you can see or maybe not so well, the PS shocks are larger at the bottom compared to the originals so they touch the black plastic chain guard. Works fine however.

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/07/29 00:56

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments: