Tips on Changing Fork Seals

More
16 Jul 2007 15:28 #157236 by gaillarry
Tips on Changing Fork Seals was created by gaillarry
I'm about the change the seals on my 85 ZX750. I note in the manual a special tool is required to separate the forks, of course I don't have the tool. Any tips on separating the forks.

1977 KZ1000
1985 Gpz750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2007 15:34 #157238 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
There are some really good topics on this of you do a forum search on changing fork seals. they even have images and what you can use to make your own "special" tools so you don't have to buy some expensive one you'll only use once or twice.

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

More
16 Jul 2007 15:47 #157243 by gaillarry
Replied by gaillarry on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
I did the search and most of the links are dead but did find one that has good pics. Someone mentioned removing the lower allen bolt while the forks are still installed on the bike, the triple tree acts as a vice holding the upper fork tube: anyone tried this?

1977 KZ1000
1985 Gpz750

More
16 Jul 2007 15:59 #157246 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
Nope, never tried that stunt, but it sounds like a great idea.

More
17 Jul 2007 17:26 #157556 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
I did that but the bolt just stayed in and spun itself. It will work, I just wish I had a drill I quickly spin it out, so I just took off the forks, drained the fluid and kept flushing the oil(time spent) and I used a flat screw driver and hammered down on one side on theoil seal causing it to pop up, but try leaving the forks in the trees and it will help.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
17 Jul 2007 18:02 #157563 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
"Any tips on separating the forks."

I've had good results on two KZs using an air powered impact driver. On my KZ1300 it failed thoroughly. actually I was able to get the lower fork tube off with the impact driver. I just couldn't get it to tighten back up. I suggest that you beg or borrow an air powered impact driver and keep in mind that it's the acceleration that does the work. Many quick starts are what does the work, NOT spinning the whole assembly at full speed.

Once I had it apart I was able to really see what was needed to grip the damper rod without damage for reassembly.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/07/17 21:03

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
18 Jul 2007 10:42 #157753 by Seijuro
Replied by Seijuro on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
gaillarry wrote:

I did the search and most of the links are dead but did find one that has good pics. Someone mentioned removing the lower allen bolt while the forks are still installed on the bike, the triple tree acts as a vice holding the upper fork tube: anyone tried this?

The upper fork tube isn't what spins, it's the damper rod at the bottom.

A wooden broom handle really does work well if you have to use hand tools. Pull the cap and spring out, taper the end of a wooden broom handle so it's pointy, and jam it down in there and it will grab the damper rod.

Best bet though is just to hit the 6mm allen bolt with an air impact gun and it will come out. Don't forget circlip pliers for the circlip above the seal. Then grab the tube in one hand and the slider in the other and start slamming them apart. 3 good whacks and they'll seperate.

For my 550, I found that 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe is exactly the right size to drive the new seal in. 4 bucks at your home depot or lowes or whatever. I think the 750 is the same size.

More
18 Jul 2007 11:29 #157760 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
Also it helps to have spring pressure on the fork when removing the allen bolt, so the way I do it is first loosen, but do not remove the top cap of the fork, then remove the entire fork leg from the motorcycle, then use an inpact driver on the allen, then after it's off remove the top cap and spring. Assembly usually goes without a hitch with an impact driver, but if the bolt wont tighten you can install the spring and cap, then the spring pressure *should* keep the damper from spinning enough to tighten it with the impact driver. If you don't have an impact driver I suggest not attempting the job because you won't be successful.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Jul 2007 03:59 #158207 by myelr21
Replied by myelr21 on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
why take the forks apart?, get an old scewdriver and sharpen it to a point then pierce the old seal and pull it out then replace it with the new one. 10 minute job. got this trick off a mate.

07 zx1400 candy blue pc3 dual staintunes.
project z1000j, gpz1100 engine, 1400 big block mtc, kerker with race baffle, 37mm keihin cr specials, gsxr1100 usd front , gsxr 1100 monoshocked rear.

More
20 Jul 2007 06:31 #158232 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
myelr21 wrote:

why take the forks apart?, get an old scewdriver and sharpen it to a point then pierce the old seal and pull it out then replace it with the new one. 10 minute job. got this trick off a mate.

You can change the fork seals with out taking the forks apart? Please tell.:ohmy:

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
21 Jul 2007 07:26 #158410 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
In order to change the seal without disassembling the fork you must still remove the fork from the bike. Disconnect the speedometer drive, remove the brake calipers, loosen the triple trees and slide the forks and front wheel off as a unit.
There's a wire retainer that holds the seal into the fork slider. Remove the retainer and, very carefully drill a small hole into the top of the seal. 3/32" is good. Now use an appropriate size sheetmatal screw and run it in to the hole a thread or two. Grip the screw with a pliers and pull out the seal.

I prefer to leave the fork tubes on the bike and disassemble the forks from the bottom, but I suppose the other method does avoid messing with the springs.

Good Luck

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/07/21 10:29

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
21 Jul 2007 09:14 #158420 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tips on Changing Fork Seals
KZCSI wrote:

In order to change the seal without disassembling the fork you must still remove the fork from the bike. Disconnect the speedometer drive, remove the brake calipers, loosen the triple trees and slide the forks and front wheel off as a unit.
There's a wire retainer that holds the seal into the fork slider. Remove the retainer and, very carefully drill a small hole into the top of the seal. 3/32" is good. Now use an appropriate size sheetmatal screw and run it in to the hole a thread or two. Grip the screw with a pliers and pull out the seal.

I prefer to leave the fork tubes on the bike and disassemble the forks from the bottom, but I suppose the other method does avoid messing with the springs.

Good Luck

KZCSI<br><br>Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/07/21 10:29

I think these methods without disassembling the legs are mostly urban legend. This method, the screwdriver thing mentioned earlier, as well as the use of compressed air to blow the seal out that's been mentioned before. In a perfect world with no corrosion on a brand new bike maybe, but on a 30 yr old motorcycle? I'd have to see it because those seals are dang difficult to get out most the time even after disassembly using a seal puller. I'd like to here from anyone that's ever sucessfully used these alternate methods before. We've all read about how great these can work. Anyone actually done it? With the fork still assembled on the motorcycle, the seal would have to come straight out up the leg since the leg keeps it from cocking. You guys think it's feasable to pull the entire outer edge of a seal straight out using a screw and vise grips? I don't but would be interested in hearing.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.