Front Sprocket Removal

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
24 Jul 2007 06:04 #159147 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Front Sprocket Removal
Well, when I did mine I went out to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap one. Got my money's worth. The nut just sat there and laughed at my cheapo impact driver. I ended up warming up with some olympic deadlifts, and heaving up on her with a breaker bar with a four foot cheater pipe. When it suddenly popped loose with a very loud SNAP!, My heart sank. I thought surely I'd just busted my shaft. Sure felt better when I saw it was just the nut coming loose. The a couple hours later I was celebrating my monumental accomplishment down at the bar, and a friend of mine says, "shoulda told me earlier. I have a 3/4" drive Ingersoll Rand at home." :pinch: :pinch: :angry:
How I held my sprocket in place was by shoving a 5/16" six inch drill bit down through two links in the chain, and allowing the drill bit to rest up against the engine casing. I did do some supeficial damage to the casing there. If I ever have to do it again, I'd put something there to protect it.
Glad you made it throught this most infamous and monumental KZ owner rite of passage.

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/07/24 09:11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.