Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
14 Jun 2007 09:03 #149307 by Skyman
It started with a *thump* *thump* *thump* coming from my rear wheel when braking at slow speeds. At first I thought it might be the brake. But then I noticed it sometimes occured while accelerating too, though less often.

I took a good look at the brakes. The rotor looked straight, no apparent binding, and I didn't see any problems there.

With the bike on center stand and the tranny in neutral, I rotated the rear wheel. I noticed that at approximatey every 1 1/4 rev of the wheel, I could feel some tension build up and then release. A few times, I thought I heard a faint *click* come from the wheel hub. But it didn't happen frequently enough for me to narrow down the exact source location.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that this is a wheel bearing problem. I just ordered a set of new bearings and seals from Jeff, and am waiting for them to arrive. Does this sound right to you guys, or should I be looking elsewhere. Any thoughts?

What I fear the most is that this is a problem in the transmission or main bearing. I guess I could go ahead and remove the chain, turn the wheel, and see if I still get the rotational hesitation.

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2007 09:06 #149309 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
Sound like removing the chain is the next step. If it does go away, check your chain for a bound up link.....then worry about the tranny.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2007 23:20 #149578 by Skyman
Update:

I removed the rear wheel tonight. The bearings definitely need to be replaced. I saw a lot of rust on one side and they didn't roll smoothly.

I found something else at the front sprocket. The nut was very loose. I'm talking finger loose. If it weren't for the lock washer, it would be gone. So I'm thinking that might have also been causing some vibrations that I had noticed.

When the new bearings arrive, I'll get those swapped out, tighten up the front sprocket and see if the noise and thumping goes away.

West Linn, OR

More
17 Jun 2007 05:52 #150139 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
mariozappa wrote:

Sound like removing the chain is the next step. If it does go away, check your chain for a bound up link.....then worry about the tranny.

I agree, not that what you found is the problem, but check for a tight spot in the chain also. Front sprocket loose??!! Scary...:S

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2007 08:45 #150174 by Skyman
Bluemeanie wrote:

mariozappa wrote:

I agree, not that what you found is the problem, but check for a tight spot in the chain also. Front sprocket loose??!! Scary...:S

I will check the chain.

Yeah, I'm a little baffled as to how the front sprocket nut got loose. The fold-over washer was still there, and although I could rock the nut back and forth with my fingers, I couldn't turn it. The washer was preventing that.

It's almost as if the PO never tightened it all the way, and just locked it in place, loose, with the washer. :blink:

West Linn, OR

More
17 Jun 2007 10:01 #150190 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
I'm glad you checked everything before you got hurt or damaged the bike. I don't know if the bearing or loose sprocket nut caused the thumping; I agree with mariozappa about the chain and here's how I think it through.

On my bike the rear wheel spins 2.4 times for one complete chain revolution. (102 links / 42 teeth sprocket = 2.4) So your thump every 1-1/4 revs is half that. I think it's a tight link passing over the front and rear sprockets, thump, thump.. just my guess.:silly:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2007 11:21 #150207 by Skyman
Okay, I took a close look at my chain. It was indeed very stiff in several places. It felt very "gummed up".

Is this something that can be fixed with good cleaning and lube, or do I need a new chain?

What is the best way to clean them, and how can I tell if the chain is no good?

Another question, since my chain is "endless", is there a way to remove it from the bike without breaking it? I assume this means removing the swingarm? Is that a big deal?

West Linn, OR

More
17 Jun 2007 12:15 #150221 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
jack her up and remove swingarm no big deal,check swingarm bearings while youre in there.soak chain in a bucket of diesel fuel to clean in up,im guessing its probably time for chain and sprockets though.id suggest 530 coversion while you are at it;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
17 Jun 2007 12:25 #150226 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
If the chain is stiff in several spots, that's usually indicative of poor/lack of lube and likely rusted rollers.

And yes, the swingarm needs to be removed if you want to remove the chain for cleaning and re-install it in it's original endless condition.
If the nut on the front sprocket was that loose, I'd suggest checking for wear to the sides of the teeth on both sprockets, as it likely was wearing them
down.
I don't know what your budget is, but if it were me I'd replace both sprockets and the chain with an o-ring style chain. This would be the prime opportunity to do the 530 conversion on your bike, which will open up a larger sprocket size selection to you, and knock a few pounds off the bikes total weight to boot. ;)

Since your bike is obviously down until you get the wheel bearings, I'd highly suggest going over the entire bike (EVERY nut/bolt/screw/etc) to see what else the PO may have forgotten to secure properly. :pinch:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
17 Jun 2007 13:07 #150235 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
I just put a 530 RK x-ring chain and new sprockets on mine, got them from Z1. About $140. If you decide to buy a new chain then also decide if you want to rivet the chain or use a link and clip. I went with the clip because I don't have a lot of horsepower and a clip should be fine, nor did I want to part with another $95 to buy a riveter tool.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
18 Jun 2007 06:00 #150372 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Please help diagnose this wheel/drive problem
This is funny.....NOT!
This weekend, after reading this thread, I was changing the clutch cable on my 77B1. I pulled off the clutch cover to undo the cable end and, guess what?!
MY SPROCKET WAS LOOSE TOO! It still had the washer bent over the nut and would not spin on the shaft, but it WAS loose!
HOLY MOLEY!
It's fixed and all good now, but DAMN! I'm feeling a little lucky!
:sick:

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2007/06/18 10:16

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
19 Jun 2007 13:19 #150914 by kzartz
OK, so I think I have the same problem(s) listed here. I'll be checking all this in the next couple days on a rear stand. Quick questions: in order to check the front sprocket I'd imagine I take off the front chain cover housing, right? What about the little oil pump cover? Do I need to be prepared with some new gaskets and will oil go all over the place? Basically what is the procedure. I'll check my Clymer tonight, but I thought I would ask for tips here as well.