Air shocks?

More
26 Mar 2007 22:25 #123840 by AR15Ron
Air shocks? was created by AR15Ron
Just got these off the ebay, never tried air shocks are they gonna suck or will I be glad I got em? My current shocks just look like crap, they ride fine.

Link to shocks

Sounds like they are about 1/4 inch shorter than the stock ones? Figured it was worth a shot, cheap $$.

Ron

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/28 09:11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
26 Mar 2007 22:29 #123843 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Air shocks?
I had a set on my ZN when I first got it, and they ride pretty nice.
I think you got those for a pretty decent price. B)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
27 Mar 2007 04:33 #123863 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Air shocks?
my kz1000 has air shocks on it from the PO, not sure of the brand but I am not that big of a fan of them, a little air and the ride hieght goes up and gets real stiff, mine does not have springs showing either

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
27 Mar 2007 11:59 #123993 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Air shocks?
AR15Ron wrote:

Just got these off the ebay, never tried air shocks are they gonna suck or will I be glad I got em?....

Uncertain whether these shocks have any internal springs. Before installing, suggest checking with zero air pressure to see how easily they collaspe.

If they easily collapse with zero air pressure, be mindful after adding air and installing them that loss of air while on side stand might drop the rear end enough causing the bike to fall over onto its right side (as if the kick stand suddenly grew too long). Loss of air could result from a leak or vandalism (snipping the hose) while you are away from the bike (on its sidestand).

Had an '82 KZ1300 with air shocks, and felt safer using the center stand for the above reasons.

Just FYI. Hope you enjoy the shocks. They look really nice. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Mar 2007 21:39 #124185 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Air shocks?
Good point on the kickstand. Never even occured to me :) That would be a very unpleasant surprise. Unfortunatly I am incapable of putting the bike on the center stand by myself LOL I only weight 145 lbs and when I try to put it on the stand I just slide backwards with the bike. Someone should come up with a hydraulic or air powered center stand, be like an F-1 car. I will check if they have springs when they show up, I'll report back :) They sure will look better that's for sure. Everyone knows looks = horsepower ;)

More
28 Mar 2007 04:39 #124219 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Air shocks?
its not that hard to put the bike on the center stand, sounds like you are trying to muscle it up.

I turn the front wheeel to the left, kind of lean the bike to the left and pick up on the grab bar, just keeping enough weight on the center stand so it will rotate, it comes up on one side and then I just let it balance out on both stands.

if you have trouble getting it down, rock it back and forth using the front brake to help it, the bike will roll forward

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
28 Mar 2007 05:01 #124221 by AR15Ron
wish I had a grab bar :)

More
28 Mar 2007 06:03 #124231 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Air shocks?
When my centerstand was still on, I did the turn front left thing and lifted by the left edge of the seat.....would come right up. 'Course, if your seat DOESNT lock, this aint gonna work so good:blink: :pinch: :S

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
28 Mar 2007 07:06 #124244 by AR15Ron
I'll have to try that when it's back together. I think I was trying to do it all off balance pulling back on the handlebars maybe. It's been awhile since I tried it. Usually I just get someone else to pull back while I stand on the center stand. It's always been kind of awkward, I'm probably just going about it all wrong :)

More
28 Mar 2007 09:49 #124285 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Air shocks?
AR15Ron wrote:

...am incapable of putting the bike on the center stand by myself....

Can use short length of wood 2x? as a platform with beveled edge (mine is a square section of 2x12 with 45 deg edge) and roll bike forward whereby rear tire is sitting on the 2x platform. With rear wheel slightly raised, bike easily lifts onto centerstand (and platform may then be removed).

Or you could forego all the elaborate bevel engineering and simply use a piece of 1x as a small stair step in front of the 2x.

Here's to healthy backs and easy lifting.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Mar 2007 10:08 #124290 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic Air shocks?
In my opinion you'll find that air shocks are great, esp if you do any touring , or two up ridding with say your girl. the ablity to adjust the ride height and seat responce is well worth it as well as say hikeing up your skirts a bit to influnce your front wheel responce. As to the centerstand thing. Ues your leg muscels TOO , if your right handed , that means you grab the back fram rail , (or grab bar at the closest point to the attacment point) and use your lrft leg onthe foot pad of the stand, and PUSH with your foor doen like your picking up some thing heavy as you lift with your right arm.. of course your left hand is holding the bar to steady the bike..its all in the timing, honest. I know a TINY lady rider who rides a sporty and she uses the center stand all the time and uses this method to "hop it up " on the stand. Might wann give it a try or two, and iof worried about dropping your machine, have a buddy stand on the opposet side a couple of time as you try this method.;)

More
06 Apr 2007 02:36 #126959 by AR15Ron
So far so good. They seem to have internal springs although they dont show. Don't seem to take much air but they say max 70 PSI on them. Also have some kind of adjustment wheel on top. Got to try and track down some directions for these things. They are OEM Kawa at least. Drove it yesterday, felt pretty stiff.

I successfully put it back on the center stand by myself! Amazing how much easier it is when you do it right LOL Thanks for all the tips.

Ron