looking at a kz1000 ltd (what's the significance of ltd?)

More
22 Mar 2007 19:06 #122681 by griffin_
Does ltd just mean higher bars and the ugly two tiered seat? How easy are those things to change out?
Anything I should known before checking it out?
The stumbling at higher rpms he describes sounds like a fuel flow issue (clogged jets most likely?)
I posted the ad below
Thanks for any help

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000B LTD, this bike is in pretty decent shape for being 30 years old and has many new parts just recently installed. It has brand new carburetor intake boots, new battery, new plugs, oil and filter, new points and condensor kit,4 brand new K & N air filters, new fuel filters and fuel lines. It's has a full Kerker racing exhaust on it that sounds amazing. Also has Pirelli tires that have at least 50% tread left. The bike runs strong up until about 6,000 RPM's and then it starts to break up a bit. The carbs were cleaned out but not sure what the problem is. They might need to be cleaned again or the points might have to be adjusted. I don't really see this being a huge problem as there is good low end power. The chrome could use a little polish and paint could use some wax but the overall condition of the bike for it's age isn't bad. I just had a baby and have no spare time to dig into it anymore.Pics will be provided upon request.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2007 19:37 #122699 by wireman
lots of little differances between the kz and ltd.most obvious being the mags on ltd,differant fenders and seat........;)oh yeah,i like the ltd seats.if yaspend much time trying to hold the frontend down youll learn to like em too!:evil: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/03/22 22:58

More
22 Mar 2007 19:58 #122710 by steell
If it's rpm related, then it's most likely an ignition problem.

If it's throttle position related, then it's most likely fuel related.

Remember those two sentences, they will save you an enormous amount of time when diagnosing engine running problems.

KD9JUR

More
22 Mar 2007 21:17 #122751 by Patton

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
23 Mar 2007 07:22 #122808 by riverroad
Yep, I agree with wireman. I never really liked the looks of the two tiered seat but the first time I grabbed a fistfull of my KZ1000 it was like, HOLY#&%$ Batman!! So that's why the seat is shaped like that!

Tha guys ad mentions new air filters and a Kerker exhaust. I'm wondering if he rejetted it. But it sounds more like an ignition problem to me. Advance weights stuck maybe? Cheap points bouncing?

More
23 Mar 2007 08:34 #122824 by patmann
I'm getting old so this is what I can remember..

The frame has a different rake to it.
The wheels are mags not wire.
The front mag was a larger size diameter. 19" ??
The rear mag was smaller diameter.16" ??
It came with bigger sized white lettered GOODYEAR tires.
It comes with dual front disc brakes and a rear disc
brake.
The fenders are different/ smaller.
The tank is smaller.
The headlight and gauges housings are chrome not painted.
It does NOT have healight "ears"/ mounts like a standard KZ. It uses a mounting system more behind the headlight.
The front turn signals are rubber mounted to the LTD handlebars, and are also a front running light. And not mounted to the headlight as the KZ is.

The exhaust system is a "custom" one by Jardine.A four into two system.
The handlebars are more of a "pullback" aka "LTD" bars.
It comes with shorter mirrors aka "LTD" mirrors.
The seat is a as you called it "two tiered" aka "LTD" seat. Thus allowing a flat footed seating for people of shorter height. It also helps for to keep you on the bike after that handfull of 1015 cc of Kawasaki starts moving. P.S. don't Armor All it too much ...
The rear grab bar is different from the standard KZ. As it it taller to match the LTD seat.
They came with a "custom" paint job and decals.
I'm sure I've missed something :dry:
I've owned a 1976 900 LTD, three 1977 1000 LTD's.
So I know something about them. And my present 1974 900 Z1 has been changed to look like the LTDs.

Oh !!! LTD stands for LimiTeD as they ( Kawasaki ) only had plans on making a VERY Limited amount of them in 1976. But they sold like hotcakes.
Someone will correct me I'm sure but I would guess Kawasaki made 15-20 standard KZ for every LTD. And the LTD was put together in the good ol' U.S. of A. ;)

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/03/23 11:56

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 09:45 #122839 by wireman
patmann wrote:

I'm getting old so this is what I can remember..

The frame has a different rake to it.
The wheels are mags not wire.
The front mag was a larger size diameter. 19" ??
The rear mag was smaller diameter.16" ??
It came with bigger sized white lettered GOODYEAR tires.
It comes with dual front disc brakes and a rear disc
brake.
The fenders are different/ smaller.
The tank is smaller.
The headlight and gauges housings are chrome not painted.
It does NOT have healight "ears"/ mounts like a standard KZ. It uses a mounting system more behind the headlight.
The front turn signals are rubber mounted to the LTD handlebars, and are also a front running light. And not mounted to the headlight as the KZ is.

The exhaust system is a "custom" one by Jardine.A four into two system.
The handlebars are more of a "pullback" aka "LTD" bars.
It comes with shorter mirrors aka "LTD" mirrors.
The seat is a as you called it "two tiered" aka "LTD" seat. Thus allowing a flat footed seating for people of shorter height. It also helps for to keep you on the bike after that handfull of 1015 cc of Kawasaki starts moving. P.S. don't Armor All it too much ...
The rear grab bar is different from the standard KZ. As it it taller to match the LTD seat.
They came with a "custom" paint job and decals.
I'm sure I've missed something :dry:
I've owned a 1976 900 LTD, three 1977 1000 LTD's.
So I know something about them. And my present 1974 900 Z1 has been changed to look like the LTDs.

Oh !!! LTD stands for LimiTeD as they ( Kawasaki ) only had plans on making a VERY Limited amount of them in 1976. But they sold like hotcakes.
Someone will correct me I'm sure but I would guess Kawasaki made 15-20 standard KZ for every LTD. And the LTD was put together in the good ol' U.S. of A. ;)<br><br>Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/03/23 11:56

i think you pretty much summed it up:P

More
23 Mar 2007 10:01 #122842 by ltdrider
I think your head still works pretty good, Patmann.
One more thing...
Chrome chain guard on the LTD!

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 10:19 #122849 by wireman
and differant shocks and differant rear footpeg brackets on frame and differant engine sidecovers on certain ltds;)

More
23 Mar 2007 10:29 #122851 by RonKZ650
Also lack of a centerstand on the LTD. The 1976 KZ900LTD was the only one I think that was rarer than the standard model. By 1977 they were churning them out a dime a dozen. I could be wrong and don't know the production figures but believe they made more LTDs than standards every year at least for the American market. Pretty much any ad you see for KZ1000 that doesn't indicate which model it is will be an LTD.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 10:44 #122857 by wireman
all the ltds ive had still had the center stand mounting tabs under the frame though.;)

More
23 Mar 2007 11:07 #122861 by ltdrider
Yep.
But you can't mount a center stand unless you change the exhaust pipes. Those 4x2 Jardines run under the engine, and will interfere with the center stand.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC