Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dim lights and blown fuses 17 Nov 2006 19:57 #92879

• pyxen
  • pyxen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
well it was 12C today..but really rainy, so it was cold.

It'll be 5 tomorrow, and heading below 0 next week..I'm pretty sure I'll be putting the bike away next week.

I don't know if its a flasher - at least not like the standard one. It has a coil and a resistor in it - I managed to open it up. Its not like the diagrams of the flashers I've seen looking around the 'net. I guess its a transistor flasher then.. ?

So am I able to replace it with a heavy duty flasher like this one?

It definitely looks to be the hazard relay.. Sorry I keep asking the same thing - I just don't want to cause a fire, or blow something up :P

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/11/17 23:04

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/11/17 23:05
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dim lights and blown fuses 17 Nov 2006 21:41 #92891

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
pyxen wrote:

I don't know if its a flasher - at least not like the standard one. It has a coil and a resistor in it - I managed to open it up. Its not like the diagrams of the flashers I've seen looking around the 'net. I guess its a transistor flasher then.. ?

So am I able to replace it with a heavy duty flasher like this one?

It definitely looks to be the hazard relay.. Sorry I keep asking the same thing - I just don't want to cause a fire, or blow something up :P

I was looking at an older diagram since I don't have one for your exact bike. I have since found an 83 550 F diagram which shows a hazard relay, turn signal relay, and a turn signal control unit. It looks like the "turn signal relay" is actually the flasher, and the "turn signal unit" is a device that controls the turn signal switch to shut it off automatically. Is your turn signal switch on the handle bar really big?

The relay-looking device does not connect to the control unit directly (other than sharing a power source). The automatic-cancelling control unit is electrically isolated from the turn signal circuitry, so that is why I surmise that the relay is just an electronic flasher for the turn signal or hazard. If it were me, I'd get an electronic one, but the thermal one may actually work (as PT said) if it's for the turn signal flasher. If it's for the hazard, you'll probably have to get an electronic one because the load is different when flashing 4 bulbs. Sorry I can't say for sure. Also, do the two relays look the same for hazard and turn signal? If so, you could try swapping them and then use a thermal flasher for the turn signals if you really want to save a few dollars.

Does pulling out the relay make the fuse problem go away?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/11/18 01:10

Dim lights and blown fuses 18 Nov 2006 06:12 #92926

• pyxen
  • User
Hey,

I did a little testing yesterday - the flasher I first posted is definitely the turn signal flasher, and I have a basic thermal one for the hazard. Neither one of them worked when I swapped the wires around. The thermal one has _| connectors, where the transistor one has |_ connectors. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to get a transistor one to replace it.

I guess the control unit is bigger..though I don't have much to compare it against. its definitely bigger than the throttle side unit.

I've never had my turn signals turn off automatically..but I've never looked at that one.

I haven't had a chance to take the bike out without the flashers connected - I'll try that this afternoon, and see where it gets me.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/11/18 09:20
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Dim lights and blown fuses 18 Nov 2006 11:14 #92971

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
sorry, I still don't have the 84 550 F diagram... just working off the 83 so it may be different.

Dim lights and blown fuses 18 Nov 2006 16:44 #93001

• pyxen
  • User
Aight - So I think I managed to track it down, and take care of it.

The flasher I got worked perfectly..picked up a $9 electronic flasher from Canadian Tire, where the local dealership wanted $25 for a universal flasher, or $45 for the Kawi OEM one. It worked perfectly with my wires, which is awesome.

The PO had 'fixed' the rear right ground on the signal light by wrapping the wire around the washer, and using electrical tape to hold it together. It was pretty lose, and full of crap. The washers themselves were brown, and after a little bit of clean-up with some sand paper, came out nice and shiny again. I soldered the wire onto the washer, to ensure a good connection.

After cleaning the ground wires for the lights, and installing the new flasher, the bike seems as good as new. The hazard and signals can be used at the same time, without that groaning I heard earlier. I think the corrosion on the flasher unit I replaced was the problem.

I can now use the turn signal, hit the hazard switch which makes the hazards work perfectly, then go back to the normal turn signal operation without any stress on the system. No blown fuses after a good half hour ride either - so I think I'm back in business! :)

Thanks for all the help everyone..hope someone can use this thread in the future.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/11/18 19:46
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Dim lights and blown fuses 18 Nov 2006 20:28 #93045

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Cool! :)

Dim lights and blown fuses 19 Nov 2006 11:33 #93188

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hooray for Canadian Tire!

• Page: