Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

77 650 regulator 12 Nov 2006 01:11 #91378

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
zippoman wrote:

I did the test that Loudvhx suggested, brown to positive a little over 1 volt. When I tested the black I get about a volt, also changed to stock regulator with no difference. Will this cause the problems Ive got?

Probably. Each of those one volt readings will add about a volt to what the regulator should be at. So, that's 14 volts plus 2 equals 16v or so.

You can try to clean up the ground path and the brown wire path back to the battery. But that is a lot of connections.
On the brown wire path is the fuse box. That is the biggest culprit. The actual fuse holder contacts get dirty. Next is the contacts inside the ignition switch. Then all the rest of the connectors.
On the ground path, there may be several connections to the frame and engine. These should all be cleaned.

If the brown wire itself has a break in it, the voltage can jump up very high (and fry the bike). If the harness is suspect and melted in places, this is another thing you'll have to check. It's a LOT of work. If the harness is real bad, you might take a chance on getting a used harness on ebay, but that is often just another set of headaches.

As a test, you can try to run jumpers from the regulator straight to the battery (positive to brown connection and ground to black), and see if the voltage drops back down to 14~14.5 volts. The jumper to the positive should be disconnected when the bike is off to prevent draining the battery.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/11/12 04:13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: