Jumpy Headlight

More
15 Nov 2005 13:13 #8337 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Jumpy Headlight
I just saw one on ebay the other day!!! I'll look and send you a auction #
By the way, I just won a NOS 1976 900 LTD inside right side exhaust pipe off ebay.:P
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2005 13:56 #8344 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic Jumpy Headlight
Please ignore the rust. It looks like my bracked could be tightened a bit...

Click on pictures for uncropped originals. The originals are quite large, but show positioning better. The images here are cropped, and the file sizes are fairly small to be kind to dialup users. The first two show underneath the headlight, and the third shows a side shot with the adjuster.

[img

[img

From the side:

[img

More
15 Nov 2005 22:49 #8422 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Jumpy Headlight
ltdrider...open your shell and check the connector on the back of your headlight. I had mine come loose two times and cause my headlight to flash/jump around. I finally got smart (yeah right) and bent the prongs out a bit so it makes a more snug connection. No more problems. I bet that's what's happening.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

More
16 Nov 2005 07:05 #8458 by patmann
Chet's is NOT the same as the ones on 900-1000's.
But he's helping more than I am :unsure:
And I'm pretty sure the 900 LTD didn't have a headlight "stabilizer".. Just the black metal bracket that holds the headlight instead of the chrome "ears" like a standard Z,or KZ.
I remember thinking the same thing ( jumping headlight ) when I got my new 1976 900 LTD. And when looking at Parts Fish they don't show one either.
I'm still looking for that ebay auction too. But you can go to PartsFish and look up a 1974 900, Z1 HEADLIGHT, and it shows it as part #21, BRACKET, HEADLIGHT.
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
16 Nov 2005 07:37 #8464 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Jumpy Headlight
Thanks again for everyone's help. Chet, your pics helped to see what the others were talking about...many thanks.

I'm going to give savedrider's advice a try... open up the light and see if something's loose inside. The front end is smooth on the road (well, pretty smooth), so the light SHOULD be steady.
I'll let you know what I find.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
16 Nov 2005 07:56 #8466 by patmann
Guess I was no help:unsure: :unsure: sniff, sniff:( :(
Just kidding !!

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2005/11/16 11:08

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
16 Nov 2005 10:54 #8484 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic Jumpy Headlight
Hey, I'm just glad the pics restored my own sanity! Ron's got more 650's than I do by far, so I was beginning to think I'd just imagined the bracket! :cheer:

More
16 Nov 2005 11:44 #8498 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Jumpy Headlight
FWIW: The bracket I have (somewhere in the mess) is similar to that shown in the pics except it IS different as I figured it fastened on the brake splitter... I do recall that it was slotted on the one end for side to side adjust but I didn't think it was on the other end as the one shown... I think it would be fairly easy to fab one if you can't find one on eBay.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 Nov 2005 14:06 #8524 by patmann
wiredgeorge wrote:

FWIW: The bracket I have (somewhere in the mess) is similar to that shown in the pics except it IS different as I figured it fastened on the brake splitter... I do recall that it was slotted on the one end for side to side adjust but I didn't think it was on the other end as the one shown... I think it would be fairly easy to fab one if you can't find one on eBay.

George, yours is the same as what I have for my Z1.

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
17 Nov 2005 04:36 #8591 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Jumpy Headlight
I took the headlamp out of the bucket. The two screws that hold the lamp to the chrome ring were loose. Looks like a rubber washer had dried up some, and the lamp could jiggle a little. I tightend the screws (phillips screwdriver and 11mm wrench), and replaced the lamp in the bucket. Took about 20 minutes (took ten minutes to get the lamp to snap back into the bucket). Problem solved.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
17 Nov 2005 08:07 #8621 by patmann
Sometimes it's the simplest things:)
A pleasant supprise isn't it ??;) ;)
Glad it worked out!
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
17 Nov 2005 12:36 #8668 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Jumpy Headlight
I'll have to say I was right on this one, brag. :-) :-)
Glad it's fixed, nothing worse than a fabulous looking motorcycle with a problem.
RonKZ650 wrote:

Even without the bottom bolt, the headlight beam should not jump. You can tell by holding your headlight as you are driving and see if the whole headlight is actually moving. If the headlight is not moving, but the beam is still jumping around, you may just have a bad headlight bulb, or something loose on how it is mounted to the shell.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.