Ignition Switch

More
30 Aug 2006 13:38 #73458 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Ignition Switch
tap water will just shorten the life of the battery not increase the voltage, i have a switch for an 82 spectre ill get pics later to see if its the same

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2006 16:23 #73505 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Ignition Switch
The 1000CSR is the only motorcycle that used that particular switch 27005-5023. My guess is electrically it's basically the same switch used on other models. The difference may come in that some models had the switch and steering lock integrated into one, or some had a little different mounting arrangement. Some may even have 1/4" different length wiring, hence a different part number. Who knows, but it's going to be a hit/miss thing trying to buy another switch for a different model and hope it fits. I'd stay Kawasaki, then you have a lot better chance of making one good switch work out of parts from your original and the new one if it's not exact. Aftermarket switch (chinese of course), won't have any parts interchangable with your switch.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
30 Aug 2006 19:44 #73549 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Ignition Switch
let me go look around in my goodies.

If i have one what am i going to do with it?

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
30 Aug 2006 20:09 #73558 by ran429
So........?

All you need is the white switch with the harness on it. its held on to the underside with one screw only.
this ones off of an 81 kz750E2 . Tested & works.

Attachments:

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
30 Aug 2006 21:07 #73576 by ran429
heres the backside of it.

Let me know if it will work ok?
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2006 21:27 #73579 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Ignition Switch
On the Z1/KZ900/KZ1000 the switches grew progressively more complicated. What I mean is, the number of wires coming out and providing switched VDC. The early Z1/KZ900 switches had a four pin connector. The later had a six pin. The reason was that the early switches had a brown switched out that went to the right hand switch gear. As this hot came out of the kill switch, it then went into the ON/PO/OFF head light switch. It then got "split" into blue, blue/red and red subcircuits depending on how the headlight switch was set. The BLUE leg went over and powered the headlight via the switch in the left hand switchgear. The red went back to the tail light (running light) and the blue/red I can't recall. Anyway, on later switches the red and blue come direct off the ignition switch because there is no ON/PO/OFF headlight function. The blue will run direct to the hi/lo beam switch and the red goes right on back to the tail light. They also added an orange/green hot off the ignition switch for the auxiliarly lights and another white wire that also carries switched VDC. I can't remember what it does off the top of my memory but if you use older switchgear and need to splice on 4 pin to 4 pin connectors to the main harness, you can just not use the orange/green and whites and it doesn't affect anything that I can think of.

I guess it all boils down to whether the Emgo switch will physically fit into the hole in your 82's dash. I suspect all you would need to do is install a new connector for the switch and a new connector for the harness and understand what the wires are doing a bit. When they say it doesn't fit your application, I think what they are saying is that it won't work as they ship it... they also sell connectors... buy a male and female 6 pin with the pins and you should be able to make it work!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!