Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

horn troubles 17 Jul 2006 07:49 #62576

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Open the left switchousing. If the wire that hooks in with your horn button is brown, that is positive. If it is black, it is a ground and you complete the circuit to the horn when it is grounded. Now that you mention it, I can't recall for sure if the horn button carries the hot or the ground. If the button grounds the horn, after cleaning the contacts on the button, you can connect the black wire going TO the button from any frame ground if it connects into your harness and you don't want to open the harness up. On some KZs the horn wires come out of the harness and it is a pain to find where they join with the stuff going to the switchgear.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

horn troubles 17 Jul 2006 12:10 #62666

• Werewolfx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
my '82 550 is ground-switched..the wire comming from the switch should be pretty small, 18-20ga, assuming its stock. My horn was bad and had no hot feed anywhere..so I connected one myself..to one of my hot side coil feeds I think..Its only there to pass inspection anyway, I never remember to use my horn..even though it uses my left thumb instead of my left middle finger, and is probably safer.
Chris

horn troubles 18 Jul 2006 12:16 #62927

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
so if my neutral indicator light works, then you guys definately think its a contact problem in the left switch housing? ill take a look at it today after work. i took a quick look at it the other day, but couldnt really pry into it because i couldnt get at it. looked pretty clean, but couldnt get to the horn button part underneath. any good way to take that housing apart and get to it? there was some sort of plate blocking me last time. ill take a picture tonite if i cant get to it
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

horn troubles 18 Jul 2006 14:24 #62957

• freebyrd24
  • User
i just remembered my gauge lights dont work either. the lights behind the speedo and tach dont work

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

horn troubles 19 Jul 2006 06:17 #63115

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Neutral Light is NOT connected to Horn circut.
it is part of starter interlock circut which is a series ground control of the side stand ,neutral, and clutch switches.

Gague lights are not connected directly to horn circut either.

use a test light it is the tool you need

horn troubles 20 Jul 2006 08:23 #63382

• freebyrd24
  • User
i FINALLY got the case completely apart on the switch housing, and low and behold, the soldered ground running TO the horn from the frame was not connected to the horn switch. i soldered it back up, works like a charm!

Sold:

• Page: