coil replacement on 1980 ltd 1000

More
24 Feb 2022 18:34 #862892 by Mtl1000
coil replacement on 1980 ltd 1000 was created by Mtl1000
i have a 1980 ltd 1000 , i removed the gas tank to send off to painter . after taking a look at the wiring and coil area .i noticed that one of the coils was cracked severely, after lots of reading on kzrider found lots of info on replacing the coils. the majority of post are suggesting to replace with a dyna s type coil .my bike has the transistorized ignition .i went on both kz part sites and basically they sell coils that are 4k ohms and my bike has coils with 1.5 k ohms with resister of 1.7. it mentions to just bypass the resistor for the install of 4k ohm coil . ive read here on a couple of post here the same with info with diagrams . i also read .but cant find the post mentioning to put a 30 amp fuse to protect the igniter .because of my budget i cant afford the dyna coils ,i can afford the 4k ohm coils . my question is .has anyone done this swap of coils and does it work properly without damaging the igniter.  and where would the fuse go ?  hoping some one can help 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Feb 2022 19:02 #862893 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic coil replacement on 1980 ltd 1000
I have a 1980 LTD 1000 as well.   I had an intermittent problem that I was able to trace back to either the igniter or the pickup.  But the coils were fine.

I replaced the OEM ignition with a Dyna S and a set of Dyna 4 ohm coils.  I was able to remove the ballast resistor and the igniter.  I'm pretty sure I still have the old coils (and maybe the ballast resister) and if so you're welcome to them for the cost of shipping.  Let me check tomorrow and get back to you?  If you're in Canada it will cost $25 to ship.  US will be more but not more than $50.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
24 Feb 2022 20:04 #862895 by Mtl1000
Replied by Mtl1000 on topic coil replacement on 1980 ltd 1000
wow , thats excellent are the wires to spark plugs in good condition . mine were hard as a rock .im in montreal ,  and ill send you the money via e-transfer . thanks . hopefully you also have the ballast also .send me info via email and ill give you my address

More
25 Feb 2022 01:59 #862903 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic coil replacement on 1980 ltd 1000
Using a 1.9 ohm resistor with a 1.9 ohm coil in a 12v system = 3amp current flow
Using a 4 ohm coil and no resistor in a 12v system also = 3amp current flow
Therefore I am not sure why you would need a fuse to protect the igniter as the current flow from the primary circuit to the igniter is approximately the same. 
In a traditional ballasted ignition circuit the coil is designed to work at approx 9v (hence the ballast resister to reduce the voltage) and there is a by-pass wire from the starter solenoid to the coil which gives battery voltage during cranking (approx 9.5v -10v) this gives a stronger spark for cold starting but ultimately reduces the life of the coil if you do lots of short journeys and start ups.
I suspect the mention of a fuse in previous posts is in conjunction with fitting a "by-pass" relay for better cold starting. This is fine for "points/condenser" ignition systems and makes complete sense, however I would not fit a resistor by-pass relay on the electronic ignition with a 1.9 ohm coil as this would double the current flow through the igniter and probably mean more parts shopping 
The following user(s) said Thank You: LATER

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Feb 2022 14:43 #862926 by hardrockminer
It's been a couple of years since I changed my coils, so I'd forgotten that I changed out the originals at some point earlier and installed a set of Dyna coils.  They are the brown ones...measure 1.7 ohm on the primary and 12.65 k ohm on the secondary.  You will need to attach your wiring to these coils, as I used the wiring for my new ones. 

I also have the bridging resister and the igniter but I'm not sure how reliable the igniter might be.  My decision to switch was because I had an intermittent connection in either the igniter or the pickup.  But I'll send it to you and let you decide if you want it.  I'll also send a set of silicon plug wires that you can plug into the coils for your sparkplugs.  One end on one of the wires is off, so you will have to cut it to the correct length and attach the coil plug with a set of pliers.  I went to the PO today and bought a small prepaid box.  It cost me $20.  What I would like is for you to donate $40 to KZRiders and don't worry about my cost.  I'll treat it like I donated $20 and you donated $20 so KZRiders comes out the winner in all this.  I have no further need for the coils so I'm glad someone will get some use out of them.  PM me with your address and I'll mail the box on Monday.  Photo of the stuff is below.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Mtl1000

More
25 Feb 2022 15:36 #862932 by Mtl1000
Thank you for your reply 

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Feb 2022 18:02 #862959 by hardrockminer
The package is packed up ready for mailing.  But I need an address.  Would you kindly send me a PM with your address?

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Mar 2022 12:21 #863183 by hardrockminer
Has the package arrived yet?

More
04 Mar 2022 13:41 #863186 by Mtl1000
No not yet but I haven’t gone home yet so maybe it’s in the mail today but I will reply to you as soon as it does thanks a lot again
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

More
08 Mar 2022 14:58 #863408 by Mtl1000
I just received the package today , thank you so much , it seems that you can only make a contribution via PayPal , I don’t have it , if you do, I can e transfer you the. 40 dollars funny how last month I had some extra  new carb parts that came with the kits and I shipped them out to someone who needed them and asked for him to make a donation. Hope you can find the block off plates and we can come to an arrangement .,  
Merci  beaucoup 

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Mar 2022 15:49 #863414 by hardrockminer
Darn!  I knew I was supposed to look for something today but I forgot!  Will do it tomorrow.  But glad to hear the package arrived.  Yes, I have Paypal and can make the donation.  I will PM my email and you can do an etransfer.

More
08 Mar 2022 18:27 #863427 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic coil replacement on 1980 ltd 1000

I just received the package today , thank you so much , it seems that you can only make a contribution via PayPal , I don’t have it , if you do, I can e transfer you the. 40 dollars funny how last month I had some extra  new carb parts that came with the kits and I shipped them out to someone who needed them and asked for him to make a donation. Hope you can find the block off plates and we can come to an arrangement .,  
Merci  beaucoup 
I think you can PM KZQ and he can give you an address to mail a payment to. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mtl1000