Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 04 Nov 2021 20:15 #857423

• Njones
  • Njones's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I have a '77 KZ650B and I'm looking at putting in an electronic ignition. Up until this point I had been planning to just use the Dyna-S kit Z-power sells. However, I was working through their inventory for some other items and I came across Boyer Bransden Micro Power CDI kit and it's quite a bit cheaper than the Dyna. I hadn't heard of them before as I'm located in the United States. What's been your experience with them, and which would you go with?
1977 KZ650B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 05 Nov 2021 02:22 #857431

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
I've used both and it's Dyna everytime.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Njones

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 05 Nov 2021 08:08 #857447

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
I had the same dilemma.
Dyna is definately the easier set up and uses the existing atu. Bransden does away with atu and uses a electrickery  circuit box to do the same job as the atu.
Dyna is plug and play and I opted for that. Performs well but have heard a few stories of it crapping out as there is no overheat protection. On the other hand there are thousands and thousands out there that haven't crapped out. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Njones

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 05 Nov 2021 16:06 #857471

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Dyna's quality has slipped over the years, My friend/ mechanic, {he's a very good one},  has had a number of failures in the last couple of years, coils dying, pickups not in the right position and heat failures. I'm about to buy an ignition myself and are thinking about an Ignitech set up, its fully programmable so its not for everyone...

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 06 Nov 2021 03:22 #857494

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Accent ELZ2Coil electronic ignition System for classic Japanese bikes. Easy Ignition timing without special tools. Price for KZ650 is 140 Euro.

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/61073...sion-question#804633

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 06 Dec 2021 18:50 #858706

• tropic-al
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just installed a 7th gear design ignition kit on my 76 KZ750 twin. Pretty easy install and works great. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 07 Dec 2021 06:54 #858721

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
That looks interesting.
Electronic ignition systems for 2 and 4 cylinder old Kawasakis. Not cheap though but is made in north America.

7thgeardesigns.com/products/ignition_kits.html

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 07 Dec 2021 10:38 #858734

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I installed a Boyer on a BSA about 20 years ago.  The wires were very thin and the ignition didn't seem very solid. A timing light showed the advance wandering around quite a bit. But then that was 20 years ago.  It was an analog electronic-advance system. I haven't dealt with anything of theirs that was more recent.

A Dyna S uses a fixed firing point so it really doesn't wander at all as long as your mechanical-advancer is working properly.

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 07 Dec 2021 11:26 #858739

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
As you are States side go for something made in the US, i have a dyna on my Z, if it needed replacing i would go for a Boyer, i have used many Boyers on different bikes over the years and never had any problems, they do away with the ATU's and perform well, but i cannot see my Dyna failing any time soon, dyna coils are a waste of money, may as well stick with Emgo.

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 07 Dec 2021 14:01 #858753

• 750 R1
  • User
My Race mechanic friend has had a lot of trouble with Dyna's, coil and pickup failures, and pickups slightly out of place making it hard to time perfectly, 2 cylinders would be perfect and 2 slightly out. He's been having a back and forward with the Aussie distributor and had several dyna's replaced. My mechanic is a world class engine builder/engineer, he knows his stuff and builds some very fast race bike engines....

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 07 Dec 2021 14:52 #858754

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441

My Race mechanic friend has had a lot of trouble with Dyna's, coil and pickup failures, and pickups slightly out of place making it hard to time perfectly, 2 cylinders would be perfect and 2 slightly out. ....
Only had one pick-up fail and one coil in 30 years of using these Dyna's and that's with over 20 or more bikes fitted with them but the amount they sell there's bound to be a few duffers get through and it's sods law someone might be unlucky enough to get more than their fair share.
The timing of the paired pickups shouldn't be an issue though as they are individually adjustable on the back plate via the tiny cap head screws and even though they are close from the factory they always need a tweak to be spot on.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Last edit: by zed1015.

Dyna S vs Boyer Bransden? 08 Dec 2021 02:19 #858782

• 750 R1
  • User

My Race mechanic friend has had a lot of trouble with Dyna's, coil and pickup failures, and pickups slightly out of place making it hard to time perfectly, 2 cylinders would be perfect and 2 slightly out. ....
Only had one pick-up fail and one coil in 30 years of using these Dyna's and that's with over 20 or more bikes fitted with them but the amount they sell there's bound to be a few duffers get through and it's sods law someone might be unlucky enough to get more than their fair share.
The timing of the paired pickups shouldn't be an issue though as they are individually adjustable on the back plate via the tiny cap head screws and even though they are close from the factory they always need a tweak to be spot on.
Dyna went through a bad period in the early 2000's , they had a huge amount of failures, there are still a fair amount, My mate deals with a lot of dyna's and has had a lot of failures,  its well documented at distributor here.  Funny thing is, I have 40 year old Dynas that are still going, I suspect they are all being built offshore in China now..
I'll ask him in detail what's going wrong with them, I've seen a few of the dead coils though...

• Page: