• Page:

TOPIC:

Trouble on a road trip 14 Aug 2021 14:08 #853812

• chrisM
  • chrisM's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Update/solution (?) 

battery was bad. Not sure if that was the cause of the other elextrical issues or not but I had to buy another new battery after replacing the ignition coils. 
„Old“ battery that was replaced with stator had less than 100 cold cranking amps. 

also: Green fuzzies all over 6 Pin Connector That I cleaned off. After that, everything was great. 

starting to have issues again now- 3,000 miles later. Might be something in the charging system. Can’t quite figure it out but the battery doesn’t seem to want to get fully charged. Consistent starting issues- sometimes I have to push start - oil leaking all over presumably from shitty seal on the stator housing. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trouble on a road trip 15 Aug 2021 07:56 #853843

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
In your first post, you never mentioned why you replaced the battery, regulator, and stator  Also what did you replace the regulator and stator with?  Factory parts or aftermarket, used or new?

You may want to just start going through the FSM procedures on checking the charging system.  Do you have any extra accessories added, like lights etc?

Trouble on a road trip 17 Aug 2021 12:17 #853955

• chrisM
  • User
 Replaced the regulator in the hope that it wasn‘t the stator. The place where I left it was 1.5 hours away from where I was staying, so they guy just did the work (replaced the stator/rotor) without really asking me.... but only charged me an hour of labor and I was happy he helped me out. He was slammed with work and didn’t have time to help me actually. 

No idea if the parts are original Kawi or not. They are new. Rotor was used. 

i think maybe there wasn’t enough oil and the stator/rotor got fried. He did a shitty job sealing up the stator compartment, so now I leak a ton of oil. 

Trouble on a road trip 17 Aug 2021 12:18 #853956

• chrisM
  • User
 Replaced the regulator in the hope that it wasn‘t the stator. The place where I left it was 1.5 hours away from where I was staying, so they guy just did the work (replaced the stator/rotor) without really asking me.... but only charged me an hour of labor and I was happy he helped me out. He was slammed with work and didn’t have time to help me actually. 

No idea if the parts are original Kawi or not. They are new. Rotor was used. 

i think maybe there wasn’t enough oil and the stator/rotor got fried. He did a shitty job sealing up the stator compartment, so now I leak a ton of oil. 

no extra lights or anything. Very basic 

Trouble on a road trip 18 Aug 2021 12:33 #854030

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Hmm.  Well, very lucky that guy was able to slap it together for you.  It's not easy to find someone to drop everything like that.

So you will just have to investigate it.  I would start with the FSM tests though.

The stator does not need oil.  It just gets incidental oil from the starter clutch, which is located under the same cover (and the starter clutch does need the oil).  So yes that cover does get some oil build up, but there is a path for oil to return to the crankcase.  The alternator cover should not have to handle too much oil and there should be almost no pressure so it should not be too hard to clean up and re-seal with a new gasket etc.  Make sure the crankcase breather is not blocked or clogged.

• Page: