• Page:

TOPIC:

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 19 Nov 2020 07:36 #838629

• Jasper.R
  • Jasper.R's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,

The Neutral light doesn't work on my LTD440 (1983). It didn't work when I bought it, so I have no idea where to start looking. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 19 Nov 2020 09:20 #838630

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 365
I do not have a wiring diagram for that year and model, but do for several earlier ones. It appears to be a simple circuit in that power comes from the keyed switch to the light and then a wire goes to the neutral switch which provides ground. The circuit is closed only when the trans is in neutral, all connections are tight and the bulb is functioning.

I would check that the neutral switch is screwed in tight, the light bulb itself is not burned out, and all the wires and connections between the keyed switch and the light bulb and neutral switch have good connections.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 20 Nov 2020 06:49 #838661

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I would make sure the bulb is good first. The neutral switch is going to be behind the LH engine sprocket cover,
near the front sprocket (or pulley if it's a belt drive). It usually has a light green wire. If it's chain drive, the
switch can get pretty grungy. Mine was glitchy, so I pulled off the flag terminal & cleaned up everything.
The terminal didn't fit tight, so I crimped it a tad, then installed it onto the switch.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 20 Nov 2020 21:01 #838696

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 349
do you have a voltmeter?
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 23 Nov 2020 02:56 #838758

• Jasper.R
  • User
Thanks a lot guys!! Fixed. The cable had come loose, which revealed itself after I took off the left-hand engine cover. Sadly it has already come loose after driving back home for 30km, so I'll put on a hose clamp next time I have time. That should keep it in place. :-)

The bulb was fine!

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 23 Nov 2020 05:20 #838762

• martin_csr
  • User
Thanks for the report. Do you mean the wire terminal came off the neutral switch?

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 23 Nov 2020 08:06 #838770

• Jasper.R
  • User
Yes correct; the green wire/plug came loose off of the switch.

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 23 Nov 2020 08:43 #838773

• martin_csr
  • User
I would carefully re-crimp the terminal. You shouldn't need to add a clamp. I have a good crimper that was a good fit. I'm assuming your bike has the same flag-type terminal. see pic. I don't know exactly what type of terminal it is, so I call it a flag terminal. scirocco chimed in one time but I forget. doh.

ps: I guess it's possible the terminal post on the neutral switch is messed up, in which case I suppose you could need a clamp. ???

LTD440 - Neutral light doesn't turn on 24 Nov 2020 04:40 #838823

• Jasper.R
  • User

martin_csr wrote: I would carefully re-crimp the terminal. You shouldn't need to add a clamp. I have a good crimper that was a good fit. I'm assuming your bike has the same flag-type terminal. see pic. I don't know exactly what type of terminal it is, so I call it a flag terminal. scirocco chimed in one time but I forget. doh.

ps: I guess it's possible the terminal post on the neutral switch is messed up, in which case I suppose you could need a clamp. ???

I was wrong, the cable is still connected and working fine. Think I might have turned off the contact too fast or left it in first gear, it's all working flawless still! My bad. :-)

• Page: