'77 KZ-1000A1 No-Start Question

More
28 Apr 2020 08:25 - 28 Apr 2020 08:39 #824494 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic '77 KZ-1000A1 No-Start Question
Rick, it has to be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit. My initial inspection would be the the starter button itself. Its a pretty simple thing and basically is a button that has a return spring on it. When you push it in it completes the circuit to the starter. However, 40 odd years of wear and tear plus 40 years of grime and corrosion are your likely issue. Unless when you press it it pushes straight and not pushes at an angle through wear it will not complete the circuit. Additionally if the contacts are corroded internally with oxidisation it will be hit or miss if the circuit completes.

Re collection. If you send me your email address I'll send you a picture of my Ducati and a few others collection and then you'll realise the answer to your question is not very often.
Don't want to post non Kawasaki pictures on a Kawasaki site. Might get banned or something :laugh:

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 08:39 by Warren3200gt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 12:01 #824511 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic '77 KZ-1000A1 No-Start Question

Warren3200gt wrote: Rick, it has to be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit. My initial inspection would be the the starter button itself. Its a pretty simple thing and basically is a button that has a return spring on it. When you push it in it completes the circuit to the starter. However, 40 odd years of wear and tear plus 40 years of grime and corrosion are your likely issue. Unless when you press it it pushes straight and not pushes at an angle through wear it will not complete the circuit. Additionally if the contacts are corroded internally with oxidisation it will be hit or miss if the circuit completes.

Re collection. If you send me your email address I'll send you a picture of my Ducati and a few others collection and then you'll realise the answer to your question is not very often.
Don't want to post non Kawasaki pictures on a Kawasaki site. Might get banned or something :laugh:

Oh I think just one picture of a Duc wouldn't be a lifetime banning event. Ducati's are in a league all their own. I was almost convinced to buy a Multi-strada a couple of years ago, but I could hardly get my leg over the seat without a step stool! But what a hoot to ride....If you ever get tired of that blue Z1-B I know a REAL good home for it! Thanks for the tech info!
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
28 Apr 2020 12:16 #824513 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic '77 KZ-1000A1 No-Start Question
He He, when you see the pictures you'll realise I don't do anything in ones.:laugh:

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
29 Apr 2020 13:07 #824569 by BCScott
Replied by BCScott on topic '77 KZ-1000A1 No-Start Question

BCScott wrote: On my '77 A1, the clutch lever does not have to be pulled in to start if the bike is in neutral. If there is no turnover while in neutral, that should eliminate the clutch lever switch .

You guys were right. I guess I forgot some things in the 25+ years my bike was stored. I guess I just hadn't tested the lock out switch. In the interest of getting it correct, I just attempted to start with the bike in gear and the clutch lever out. Sure enough, it lurched forward, so I'd say my switch is faulty. I don't think I'll do anything about it, since I haven't noticed the problem in the 3+ years I've had it back on the road.

Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1