Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 15:00 #817377

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Do you know how to bump-start a bike?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 15:08 #817378

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Another option is to jumper the yellow to the white wire at the ignition switch plug. That is, unplug the ignition switch. On the harness side, inside the blue plug, try to jumper the white wire to the yellow wire. If that doesn't work, then the problem is not necessarily in the ignition switch.

This will get the bike started, but to ride the bike you will want to unplug the regulator/rectifier since it won't regulate. You will be running ignition only on battery only.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 15:13 #817381

• Caleator
  • Caleator's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
it stopped working entirely now lol, now so bump start might not be an option.

here are the current state of my switch plates
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (KZ550D-1)
Attachments:

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 15:17 #817382

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I will not be able to see the photos from work unless you upload directly to kzrider.

If you have some paper clips, you could jumper the white wire to the yellow wire and also the brown wire. That is all three together on the harness end of the blue plug. That will allow for normal motor operation and brake lights.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 15:20 #817383

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Check your fuses too.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 16:58 #817391

• Caleator
  • User
Update

I made it home safely after 3 failed attempts at bump starting, I was able to get the ignition switch to work without the headlight.

For starters I was in downtown LA, at an intersection with a lot of foot traffic. The first attempt i had to stop for a jay walker. 2nd attempt, i guess my seat wasn't all the way locked down, so when i threw my leg over I kicked open the seat. how i didn't drop it after that surprised me. The 3rd attempt I forgot the turn my ignition switch on... I was turning it off between attempts to preserve battery. And of course this was all right after i got a 93$ parking ticket... Here is a picture of how I was parked, right at the red, to give the car some space to leave.

for the MOST part, it ran fine after the bump start. Every now and then I would loose throttle response and receive a very loud backfire and the only was to get power back was to clutch all the way in and give a little throttle. This happened about three times on my way home. I was about a 40 minutes ride away from home and 30 minutes until the sun went down. luckily lane splitting is legal.

Life is but a shipwreck of our plans

Any advice? I rebuilt my starter last July, brushes and I emory clothed the armature and commutator brass parts.
When i first got back to my bike It turned on normally, then i put my helmet on then looked back and it was off. ignition works with headlight unplugged, and starter not getting the power it needs i guess.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Caleator.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 17:41 #817392

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Sorry this may be a obvious statement but it sounds like you have a corroded connection... It sounds like it will carry voltage but breaks down under load... The loss of throttle is likely due to low voltage at the coil primary... Sorry I cant help more but its time to start looking at every connection for corrosion
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 17:49 #817393

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Every gpz550, and basically every 30+ year-old bike for that matter, I have worked on had wires failing in the harness between the frame and steering area. By failing, I mean actually breaking due to repeated flexing. I just rewire from scratch on most bikes. That is not a fun task even if you've re-wired dozens of bikes.

Because of your ignition switch problems, that is of course a main suspect. But since you've been working in that area, it's also possible you've disturbed some harness wires nearby that were marginal to begin with.

I would suggest a temporary jumper that you keep on the bike as a secondary ignition switch. It should have a switch in the jumper so you can just open the seat and flip the switch to keep running. Then as the problem gets worse, or becomes permanent, you can troubleshoot it properly with a voltmeter. You won't get stranded since you will have the emergency jumper.

If you're interested I can look at the diagram and suggest a convenient place to tie in the jumper.

For parking tickets, always carry a can of gray spray paint to paint over red or yellow curbs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleator

Last edit: by loudhvx.

gpz550 ignition switch 18 Jan 2020 20:30 #817406

• Caleator
  • User
does anyone know the cross compatibility for the 81 gpz harness?

I think there might be an KZ550-A2 one on partzilla. here's a side by side with some of the differences I see, not quite sure what the extra connections are for

also found a new wiring harness made for the z400fx, another similar bike.

Making my own harness might be way out of my skill range, might end in a disaster, but that is probably the best option. Might even have to get someone to make me one, don't know where I'd find that person lol
My 81 Honda c70 needs a new wiring harness, maybe I should get some practice there
Attachments:

gpz550 ignition switch 23 Jan 2020 09:25 #817677

• Caleator
  • User
So my search for finding someone to make a wire harness is coming to an end, and its looking like I will have to make my own harness.

Most places that manufacture harnesses only make them in larger quantities, Curious if I got about 10-20 made would there be a market for them here? I guess I would be the only market for this one off wiring harness at that point.

So as far as making my own harness, What gauge wire should I use? and are the stock connectors able to be reused? just need some tips and pointers in general, would be my first time attempting something like this.

Thanks in advance.

gpz550 ignition switch 06 Feb 2020 13:51 #818731

• Caleator
  • User
Hello, it's been a minute

So I took the route of making my own wire harness, came out pretty decently I would like to say. Used 18 gauge AWG for almost everything, and reused the old negative and positive terminals. Tested each wire after finishing using resistance (my crappy multimeter doesn't have a continuity tester). and all seems good.

bike has been sitting for almost a month now.

I get everything plugged in, and my new harness fits better than the old one. used heat res wire loom, which looks nice. also replaced the old starter solenoid with a new one.

I finish up, turn the key, and no power.

I am sad.

the battery I put on my fairly cheap charger/ maintainer (everstart or something like that), reads 90% then after a minute will give me a fault code F01. which some say it means dead battery cells.

I'm just surprised I'm getting no power at all? Can a battery just crap out like that?
I'll try replacing the battery, then check all the connections. after that I have absolutely no idea what to do next.
Attachments:

gpz550 ignition switch 06 Feb 2020 15:45 #818736

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
Nice job on that harness . Hopefully its just needs a batt .My 550 would never run right without a good battery
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleator