Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 12 Oct 2019 07:42 #812299

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
No it's a totally different size, 550 vs 650. I've had both at one time long ago.

I think the magnet-rotor aka flywheel from a 750-four, which still comes in 4 sections like the 650, may be more powerful and will fit the 650 crank, but you will want confirmation of that before trying it. I don't want to send you down a rabbit hole of experiments and spending money when all you want is for the bike to charge. Maybe someone who has swapped a full 750 charging system into a 650 can chime in.

Or if someone with a spare 650 rotor could loan you one to try, that would be nice. If there is a cheap one, 750 or 650, it might be worth a try.

Or does ricks or electrosport offer a heavy duty 1-phase stator for the 650? That's probably not going to be cheap for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 12 Oct 2019 08:11 #812300

• waktaylor
  • waktaylor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Maybe I can test with a compass

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 12 Oct 2019 17:03 #812330

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I think a compass will be too weak. It needs to be a very strong magnet so the polarity doesn't get overtaken.

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 13 Oct 2019 15:46 #812387

• waktaylor
  • User
I ordered a kz750 flywheel. $15.00 shipped so no biggy. I will post my findings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 22 Oct 2019 17:50 #812876

• waktaylor
  • User
My existing flywheel is a 3 magnet unit. The kz750 is a 4 magnet unit.

The kz750 unit did not solve my issue.

Sad I guess I’m gonna change to 3 phase stator and get ANOTHER RR for the lithium battery.

The stupid thing seems to float my battery at 12.4 volts or so which is way to stinking low.

Ricks tested the RR and determined it’s good.

I get 0.8 VDC across the ground and red wires from the RR at all rpms. The heat sink of the RR has dc voltage on it when the engine is running so it’s shunting power I guess.

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 23 Oct 2019 08:19 #812899

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSorry the Kz750 rotor didn't work out.

What is the AC voltage on the red wire and ground? If that is also very low, then I would say the regulator is shunting all the time. It should not do that, especially if the voltage on the battery is low. If you trust that the regulator is good, then maybe there is a wiring issue between regulator and battery.

I don't know how much fooling around you want to do ... you're probably already sick of this problem... but if it was me I would jsut wire a simple rectifier in place of the regulator. Then all stator power would be going to the battery all the time. If that doesn't get the battery voltage up, then the stator is too weak or bad (assuming the wiring is good). This will eliminate the possibility of the regulator playing a role.

I have these rectifiers laying around so it would be a no-brainer for me. If you don't have one, they can be had cheap like couple bucks, on ebay. 50A bridge rectifer. But it sucks waiting another week to make any progress.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 01 Nov 2019 14:22 #813397

• waktaylor
  • User
Hey,

I do have some of these cheap RR for the Kohler engine. went for a ride today and it hovered at 13.7 V. The stator may be weak but with cheap RR floats at a safe voltage for the lithium battrery so im gonnnna ride

now my petcok is clogged or something so im not actually gonnnnna ride just yet.

I installed a digital voltage display so I can keep an eye on my voltage. The cheapy seems to be working ok.

www.ebay.com/p/16009400719?iid=132397284...dtL8ivMaAiGSEALw_wcB

Charging issue seems odd to me but I’m dumb 01 Nov 2019 14:25 #813398

• waktaylor
  • User
oh and i will verify the shunt voltage eventually. its made me so frustrated im just gonna buy a new ducati.

• Page: