Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Adding water to the battery 09 Sep 2019 08:08 #810578

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Instead of going through the harness and it's connections the power generated from the stator, to the R/R then to the battery thus the charging system is independent. The battery is being taxed trying to keep up with the lights, Dyna S and green Dyna coils with a charging system putting out intermittent power shown by the multimeter. I may have found the problem.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adding water to the battery 09 Sep 2019 08:34 #810579

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I figured you were overlooking / overcooking something if you are destroying new batteries in less than a year, no matter where they are made.

If you isolated the stator wiring from the main harness doesn't really make it a independent system any more than one with the yellow wires still taped into the main harness. The thing that makes it somewhat independent is it's >not< needing the brown sense voltage to control charge voltages. I do hope the missing stator phase didn't damage any of the rectifier diodes in the SH-775. I doubt it, but electricity can be funny like that.

I don't think I've seen a miniature analog meter like that in 20-30 years. A customer I repaired a dining room light for yesterday had a large Micronta (Radio Shack vintage) analog meter vintage mid 80's that was the large version of your little meter. My digital multi-meter is a HF $20.00 special, after I smoked out my good digital meter checking out a mercury vapor ballast, that made my long time digital meter turn into vapor. poof. :pinch:

Attachment not found

I can't make much out of the videos either, (cough, choke, grunt, cough, good kitty, hack.. lol) so I just forgo it hoping that you will type out a summary of your findings. BUT, all of your healthy living does look to be paying off BIG! More soda and cigarettes please. :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

Adding water to the battery 15 Oct 2019 11:40 #812516

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Don't like soda. :sick: I found the problem. :woohoo:
Steve

Adding water to the battery 18 Oct 2019 08:14 #812659

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I could only see your meter display briefly in your video (as usual), but from what I could see, it looked like it was charging ~14.59 volts under load. This seems a tad bit high to me, which may still cook your batteries. I am assuming you still have the SH775 R/R (non-adjustable) that uses no sense feed (brown wire) except the output wire. Perhaps you still have some flaky connections between the battery and the regulator causing the output to run high?
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.