Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 kz750 ltd won't fire after repair 23 Jul 2019 17:21 #808050

• Bgski94
  • Bgski94's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just bought my first motorcycle, a 1980 kz750 ltd and am learning a lot about what to look for when buying a motorcycle, and a lot about how to fix one. I realized after buying it that when I test drove it it was warm when I started it, because when I came to pick it up a few days later it was cold and wouldn't start (with a god awful grinding sound coming from the case). I was finally able to get it started to get home and after some internet research and consulting a maintenance manual found it was the starter clutch slipping. Armed with nothing but the maintenance manual and the internet I've since removed, rebuilt, and re-installed the starter clutch

Long story short, the bike turns over like a champ, but now won't fire. Before the starter wasn't staying engaged long enough to get 2-3 revolutions and get going; but now I can sit and run the starter, and I can hear it turning the motor over, but still no riding for me. I know there is a laundry list of things to check, I made sure fuel was coming through the line, but I'm not sure what to check next knowing that it would start and run fine (starter clutch aside) not two weeks ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 kz750 ltd won't fire after repair 23 Jul 2019 18:40 #808051

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Nobody is obligated to follow my approach of course but when when I first bring home an 40 year old bike it goes straight into the garage and doesn't come out until all the various maintenance tasks are up to date. This includes, but is not limited to:

- cleaning out the gas tank (derusting as necessary)
- checking petcock for proper funcion
- full carb disassembly and cleaning, followed by reassembly with all new O-rings
- replace spark plugs and possibly wires and caps (measure resistance at minimum)
- verify spark
- adjust valves
- change air filter

Only after this stuff is done will I attempt to start the bike. After this it's on to the chassis...which I'll leave for a different thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

Last edit: by Nessism.

1980 kz750 ltd won't fire after repair 24 Jul 2019 05:51 #808069

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Good advice, to which I would add, change the engine oil and filter. Pay attention to the old oil for any chunks or glistening glitter. Both may indicate serious internal problems. If there is way too much oil and it is grey or whitish, water may have contaminated it. Left long enough, this could encourage internal rust.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

• Page: