Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Electric not strong enough to power horn 15 Apr 2019 16:06 #802203

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I just fixed my horn issue, first I jumped the prongs on the horn with a battery and it worked , then I took apart the left hand control housing that the horn button is in.
there is a turn signal switch located over the over the horn button so I removed it by taking out 1 screw , that exposed the horn button.
then I sprayed a electric contact cleaner into the button housing and pressed it a bunch of times, after I let it dry a bit, I then sprayed Deoxit-5 into the button housing and pressed the button a bunch more times , then I switched the bike to on and hit the button.
It now works for the first time in over 30 years, I just never fixed it because I hate horns :)
If you try this make sure and spray/clean and operate the turn signal and hazard switch too.

Use one of those straw extensions for your sprays and aim in between the moving button part and the fixed button housing .
hope this helps
78 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bluej58.

Electric not strong enough to power horn 15 Apr 2019 18:30 #802207

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
I also did similar last week but also scraped a bit of black paint off the handlebar where the switch housing clamps to the bar. Horn now sounds better than it has in years.
Horn button earths to the switch housing and switch housing earths to the handlebars and so on.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Electric not strong enough to power horn 16 Apr 2019 08:32 #802230

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
Yeah, my horn button only has 1 black/white too, probably the simplest circuit on the bike.
I didn't clean the ground though :blush: if it starts to fail I'll do it then, or not....
78 KZ1000 A2A

Electric not strong enough to power horn 16 Apr 2019 08:47 #802231

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

bluej58 wrote: Yeah, my horn button only has 1 black/white too, probably the simplest circuit on the bike.
I didn't clean the ground though :blush: if it starts to fail I'll do it then, or not....

Yep, a pretty simple circuit. We have safety inspections in MO that are required to get license plates. A working horn is required by state law. Also, if so equipped with turn signals, they are also required to work.

I just had my bike inspected last Friday, and as usual, it passed with flying colors. Since >all< MO motorcycle plates also expire every April (unlike cars with different months) .
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Electric not strong enough to power horn 16 Apr 2019 10:15 #802234

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
Illinois use to have all bike plates expire Jan. 1 which sucked because nobody buys plates in the middle of Winter and sure enough a nice day would show up and I couln't ride , now it all depends on when you register and no safety checks.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 07:50 #802282

• old_kaw
  • User

bluej58 wrote: Illinois use to have all bike plates expire Jan. 1 which sucked because nobody buys plates in the middle of Winter and sure enough a nice day would show up and I couln't ride , now it all depends on when you register and no safety checks.

Jan 1 does seem stupid. AND it would be pretty nippy riding to the local inspection station, which also brings up another valid point, safety inspections are a GOOD thing. Especially after seeing some of the so called "improvements" some people do these poor bikes. (Yours not included) I still need to pay my personal property tax and go pay again to get my new and improved MO tag.

dor.mo.gov/motorv/bicentennial.php
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 08:14 #802283

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 08:33 #802284

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Must be this tall to ride, not because you can't touch the ground. Because you cant reach the handle bars. :laugh:
You think he does pull ups down the road?
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Last edit: by M_a_t_t.

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 08:41 #802285

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598

bluej58 wrote:

Can't be above you armpits but you see them all the time with "BIKERS". :lol:
Steve

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 09:53 #802287

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
When you're ready, we can direct you to tracing down the path for the horn power (and ground) using a voltmeter. Do you have a voltmeter?
If not, you can one that works for pretty cheap. The Harbor Freight $4 meter works ok, but the test leads that come with it are usually faulty... so you can save money on the meter, but then you have to buy new leads.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 13:49 #802302

• Legionnaire1856
  • Legionnaire1856's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

loudhvx wrote: When you're ready, we can direct you to tracing down the path for the horn power (and ground) using a voltmeter. Do you have a voltmeter?
If not, you can one that works for pretty cheap. The Harbor Freight $4 meter works ok, but the test leads that come with it are usually faulty... so you can save money on the meter, but then you have to buy new leads.

I have access to a good voltmeter, yes. I haven't had time to check with my alligator clips to see whether the bad connection is from the ground or the power supply just yet though. Should I try that first?

Electric not strong enough to power horn 17 Apr 2019 15:43 #802312

• old_kaw
  • User

SWest wrote:

bluej58 wrote:

Can't be above you armpits but you see them all the time with "BIKERS". :lol:
Steve

I know this guy. He claims he's put over 100k miles on that setup. Not a bad guy IMHO. He's one of those loud and slow folks that always has a beer in his hand, while everyone checks out those "apes". lol

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.