1979 kz750 twin Wiring Nightmare

More
08 Mar 2019 11:35 #799942 by Berserker
Replied by Berserker on topic 1979 kz750 twin Wiring Nightmare
I have the diagrams for both the B3 and B4, because I originally thought it was a B4. Turns out my seat is from a 79 but the actual bike frame is from a 78. I ripped out all the wiring trees last night because I found too many areas where the wiring didn't make sense and seemed cobbled (butt connectors) and even worse, I found melted wires like from a short. You are correct where the original harness was a 6 pin harness with a 5 pin inset, but at the time I ordered the switch no one seemed to have had that option and said it could easily work for the 4 pin. Now that I've ripped everything out, it doesn't really matter. I'm currently wiring in a simple on/off 4 pin as I don't need the option to run my electricals with the bike off (I will forget at some point and end up having to kick start lol). I really do appreciate all the input here, this is a great community.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2019 12:00 - 08 Mar 2019 12:11 #799943 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1979 kz750 twin Wiring Nightmare
How did you determine the year? Are you going by the vin or frame number range? The date of mfg isn't necessarily the model year.
See cyclechaos.com or the back cover of the Kawasaki factory service manual.

Re-wiring. If you're going to do a bit of rewiring, I would get a ratcheting open barrel crimper and use stock type terminal pins & bullet connectors >> the crimps are very strong. Z1Enterprises has a selection of colored wire, terminal pins & plastic connectors. CycleTerminal is where I got most of my stuff, but I don't think they have wire.

Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 12:11 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Berserker

More
03 Jun 2019 17:41 #805106 by Berserker
Long time no post, but here I am. I got everything working, bike kicked over etc. but it seems my ignition coil gave out on the last round of kicks. No spark, no read. So I’ve been searching for a local ignition coil substitute. I got the BR6ES spark plugs which for some reason wasn’t an easy find here in SINY. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Can anyone chime in on ignition coil swaps? I’m not looking to install a dyna set up on this bike.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
03 Jun 2019 17:52 #805108 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 1979 kz750 twin Wiring Nightmare
BR6ES are very hot resistor plugs(R =Resistor), (Service Manual prefer B6ES) .
B7ES or B8ES are the right plugs for your bike.

More
03 Jun 2019 17:54 #805109 by Berserker
You’re right that they’re hotter. I was suspecting an issue with fouling (my plugs would be black from the start and short firing period before my ignition coil dumped on me). Considering that, do you think I should just go back to the b7?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
03 Jun 2019 18:03 #805111 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 1979 kz750 twin Wiring Nightmare
Are your carb jets and float bowl high Setup right?
Are your Points gap and dwell adjust right and ignition advancer greased and moving easy?
Do a stasic or dynamic ignition Timing? Have to ask.

More
15 Jun 2019 07:42 #805754 by Berserker
I’ve cleaned the carbs out. They were dirty but not the worst I’ve seen. I replaced the ignition coil, plugs, boots, battery, wiring etc and the bike started with a kick but I can’t seem to get it to trigger to start with my starter button (non factory the original died). Can you explain a static or dynamic ignition timing?