Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 Problem today 10 Dec 2018 06:04 #794878

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
Before you replace the fuse block, you're going to want to figure out what melted it in the first place...

Are kz650 reproduction harnesses available? It might be worth replacing the main harness and the reg/rec anyways for peace of mind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Problem today 10 Dec 2018 10:38 #794896

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

Move0ver wrote: Before you replace the fuse block, you're going to want to figure out what melted it in the first place...

Are kz650 reproduction harnesses available? It might be worth replacing the main harness and the reg/rec anyways for peace of mind.

Yes, I have a reproduction harness that ive had for a few months. This is the state of the fusebox now.

And in re the melted fusebox, I searched the forum and found this is a common problem on some KZs and is not indicative of a greater problem:

"This has been a problem with these bikes since they were new. Fuse clips get dirty/corroded the fuse will heat and eventually melt. Also due to the heat most likely the plastic in the fuse box that puts extra pressure on the clips to make a tight connection to the fuse has melted, so insufficient pressure on the clips to the fuse it will run hot even with perfect contact. The best thing to do is change the entire fuse box to modern blade fuses. Otherwise tie a ziptie around the fuse clip to secure it to the fuse with more pressure."

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650Dude.

Would a fusebox in such a SORRY STATE cause charging issues? 1977 KZ650 10 Dec 2018 16:55 #794910

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked
Bike is in otherwise great shape. Testing the voltage across the battery the other day and it was 14v at idle, shot up 10 16v then 15 v at 3k Rpm and DROPPED to 12v at 5k rpm.

Here is the current fuse box and the new one I plan to put on tomorrow.

FYI these fuse box clips were prone to melting and was a common problem back in the day. I was going to switch to blade fuses, but bought the reproduction fusebox you see below before I knew switching to blades was an option. When the clips melted, I just wrapped the connector and fuse in electrical tape and drove it like that for a few weeks.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Would a fusebox in such a SORRY STATE cause charging issues? 1977 KZ650 10 Dec 2018 18:33 #794915

• Jussumguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Well you know it’s charging! Possibly your regulator isn’t getting a proper signal, or it’s not working. Take your wiring harness plugs apart and look for hot spots or bad connections. Don’t buy a Chinese regulator.

Would a fusebox in such a SORRY STATE cause charging issues? 1977 KZ650 10 Dec 2018 19:34 #794918

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

Jussumguy wrote: Well you know it’s charging! Possibly your regulator isn’t getting a proper signal, or it’s not working. Take your wiring harness plugs apart and look for hot spots or bad connections. Don’t buy a Chinese regulator.

Thanks for all that but my question really and specifically if the state of the fusebox could cause overcharging.

BTW I dont buy junk. I got my replacement recitifier from Oregon Motorcycles as suggested my an old timer here in the forum.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Would a fusebox in such a SORRY STATE cause charging issues? 1977 KZ650 10 Dec 2018 21:40 #794922

• Jussumguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Ok then. There is a wire that tells the regulator that the battery needs voltage. If it comes through a dirty connection then the regulator will think the battery needs more power and will overcharge the battery. You’re getting 15-16 volts which makes me think the regulator isn’t doing a very good job. Is it mechanical or electronic?

Would a fusebox in such a SORRY STATE cause charging issues? 1977 KZ650 10 Dec 2018 22:35 #794924

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, as mentioned in your other threads on the subject, the over-heated fuse holders are a common cause of voltage drops which cause the regulator to over-charge the battery. The photos you show are very typical of the problem. There are probably dozens of threads on the subject on KZR over the last 18 years. When the fuse holders overheat from dirt/corrosion, it is very possible for other parts of the harness to suffer similarly. Those other locations, if they are in the overall path of the regulator power, will also contribute some amount of voltage drop. Likely places, in addition to the fuse holders, are the main ignition switch internal contacts, the kill switch contacts, and connectors especially near the steering area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, 650Dude

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 05:18 #794931

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked
4 of my bikes are in the heated garage but the KZ650 sits outside the garage, covered in all types of good stuff.

I wanted to work on it today, replacing the fusebox and rectifier, but is 34F / 1C outside and I DO NOT feel like being out in it. So i have a question, wondering how difficult this may be and the time it may take:

Below is a pic of my rectifier on my bike and also the new similar part I ordered (its not the exact same part but shows the area I have concern about a little bit more clearly). Ive changed rectifiers on my hondas before, and it was pretty much a quick job. But the configuration of those rectifiers is very different from the one on my bike, and pictured below:

How does this rectifier affix to the battery box? Is it just a nut that holds it on? I cant see anything in the manual about removing it, and it looks like theres just one nut at the bottom that holds it on. I cant imagine what else might be holding it on:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 07:24 #794939

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, it's just a bolt. But be careful about over-torquing the nut/bolt. Those big square fins can twist on each other and allow moisture seepage if not other damage. It looks like a tough device, but it is more fragile than it appears.

But that is just a rectifier. That is not the regulator/rectifier combo unit. The fact that you are getting higher than 15v on the battery means the rectifier is probably ok. The regulator is more likely the issue and the dirty fuse holders are also more likely the issue than the rectifier (i see you are already working on the fuse holder issue in your other thread). Did OregonMotorcycleParts sell you separate regulator and rectifier?

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 07:42 #794941

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

loudhvx wrote: Yes, it's just a bolt. But be careful about over-torquing the nut/bolt. Those big square fins can twist on each other and allow moisture seepage if not other damage. It looks like a tough device, but it is more fragile than it appears.

But that is just a rectifier. That is not the regulator/rectifier combo unit. The fact that you are getting higher than 15v on the battery means the rectifier is probably ok. The regulator is more likely the issue and the dirty fuse holders are also more likely the issue than the rectifier (i see you are already working on the fuse holder issue in your other thread). Did OregonMotorcycleParts sell you separate regulator and rectifier?

Hey and thanks for responding.

I changed the fuse box this morning. It was cold out but not windy, so I managed to change that, I put the fully charged battery back in and a curious thing has happened. Where as with the fuse box the voltage went up (but fluctuated a lot) when I rolled the throttle, this time, with the new fuse box in, I got nothing. Like maybe a 10th of a volt, from 12.5 to 12.59. that never happened before. It always went higher. I havent changed the rectifier yet. Does this still seem like a rectifier problem? I hope so. I dont feel like stator issues - dealing with them.

Tony over at Oregon got jammed and is just mailing the part out to me today. It is the two separate parts, the voltage regulator and the separate rectifier, for a total of under $100

Let me know your thoughts on whether you think the rectifier is still the problem. Im getting next to no charge when I rev the engine.

Pic of the new fusebox i put in today:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 07:42 #794942

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
It appears to be a three phase rectifier. I asked for pics to determine if the system was one or three phase but no pics.
Steve

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 07:44 #794943

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

loudhvx wrote: Yes, it's just a bolt. But be careful about over-torquing the nut/bolt. Those big square fins can twist on each other and allow moisture seepage if not other damage. It looks like a tough device, but it is more fragile than it appears.

Hey and thanks for responding.

I changed the fuse box this morning. It was cold out but not windy, so I managed to change that, I put the fully charged battery back in and a curious thing has happened. Where as with the fuse box the voltage went up (but fluctuated a lot) when I rolled the throttle, this time, with the new fuse box in, I got nothing. Like maybe a 10th of a volt, from 12.5 to 12.59. that never happened before. It always went higher. I havent changed the rectifier yet. Does this still seem like a rectifier problem? I hope so. I dont feel like stator issues - dealing with them.

Tony over at Oregon got jammed and is just mailing the part out to me today. It is the two separate parts, the voltage regulator and the separate rectifier, for a total of under $100

Let me know your thoughts on whether you think the rectifier is still the problem. Im getting next to no charge when I rev the engine.

Pic of the new fusebox i put in today:
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments: