Low voltage to coils

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
27 Mar 2018 05:59 #780878 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Low voltage to coils

Patton wrote: If a carb fuel level is too high (which usually causes an overly rich air/fuel mixture in an otherwise perfect carb), the spark plug may become fuel fouled and quit firing, which causes the other spark plug in that same secondary loop to quit firing.
Diagnosis would be via clear tube testing.
Good Fortune! :)

I checked the fuel level with the carbs mounted and the bike on the centerstand. #2 seems high now although on the bench the level was OK. When I was going thru that process I noticed there was a vast difference between the dry float height and what it took to get the fuel level to the correct height.
I dread having to remove and re-install the carbs again.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2018 06:47 #780882 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Low voltage to coils
The "perfect dry float height" is whatever measurement produces the correct fuel level.

When a bank of four carbs with each carb having a known correct fuel level (as determined by the clear tube test), it's not surprising to find that each carb has a different dry float height measurement.

Bottom line is that the engine doesn't care about the dry float height measurement so long as the fuel level is correct.

Happily, once the correct fuel level is achieved, it usually stays that way for a long time.:cheer: (Unless screwed up by a misguided attempt to bring the dry float height within specs.) :pinch:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.