No injector pulse on 82 gpz1100

More
09 May 2018 07:26 - 09 May 2018 08:23 #783118 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic No injector pulse on 82 gpz1100
That is surprising, that Kawasaki would change a long held convention.

There are two issues, really. One is where the coil is mounted, and two, which coil gets which color wire.

Re: position
I checked the coil part numbers etc on Kaw's website and found NOS coils on ebay etc with part number labels.
Fiche part 21121 is the right coil with part number 21121-1038 and it has the 1 and 4 labels on the wires.
Fiche part 21121A is the left coil with part number 21121-1039 and it has the 2 and 3 labels on the wires.
This contradicts the manual, and this would be a break from the large-motor convention of 1-4 on the left, 2-3 on the right.
Also, I noticed the same image was used on the 750 of that year, so I don't necessarily trust the fiche. I think they just copied the image from the 750 and didn't realize the coils came mounted opposite on the 1100 from the 750.
Even if they intended to break convention, it would not be surprising to me if the actual bikes came out of the factory with the coils opposite of what the parts-fiche (or even service manual) shows. I think the guys assembling the bikes like to do things the way they have always done things, regardless of what the pencil pushers in the front office say. :)

Re:wire color
I believe the factory manual is simply wrong on this. The Clymer will just repeat what the factory manual says for many things, so it is not an independent source.

It really is dependent on how the igniter is wired, and to my knowledge they are all the same and swappable, so
the bottom line, really is this:

When the crankshaft is positioned so that pistons 1 and 4 are near TDC, the ignition rotor should be pointing backward (left) toward the pickup with the black and blue wires.

When the crankshaft is positioned so that pistons 2 and 3 are near TDC, the ignition rotor should be pointing forward (right) toward the pickup with the yellow and red wires.

Inside the igniter,
the black+ and blue- pickup wires control the black primary wire.
the yellow+ and red- pickup wires control the green primary wire.

The black primary wire controls the coil firing cylinders 1 and 4.
The green primary wire controls the coil firing cylinders 2 and 3.

The small fours have the 1-4 coil on the right side of the frame, and the 2-3 coil on the left side of the frame.

Most (if not all) large fours have the 1-4 coil on the left side of the frame, and the 2-3 coil on the right side of the frame.

I did find a wiring diagram that shows the layout on the 1100B2 basically the same as other large-motor Kz's.
www.kzrider.com/media/kunena/attachments/17171/KZ1100B2.jpg
This is not a very reliable source either, since the plugs are not labeled and the diagram is not really explicit on where things are mounted. But at least it seems to be the same as most other diagrams for large fours.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 08:23 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2018 08:53 #783122 by Vincent
Replied by Vincent on topic No injector pulse on 82 gpz1100
I’m just happy I finally figured it out and got her running! I’m really glad mpressed that the fuel injection operates go good! Decent power i was surprised it lifts the front wheel! Haha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.