81 kz650 low voltage to cdi box

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Mar 2018 09:19 #780933 by agrestixrock
Replied by agrestixrock on topic 81 kz650 low voltage to cdi box
i have not as i dont have a chain on at the moment. i think i have found the main issue. even though my starter motor cranked over, it is binding up and the brushes look shot. i ordered some new brushes and will let you know if it works or not. the starter motor was hard to turn by hand, so hard that i though it didnt spin until it was powered. i pulled it from the engine and it did help with the voltage drop but still was only at 9.5v. when i finally completely removed it i took a rag and spun the gear as hard as i could and it finally spun but it was chirping and grinding. my guess is the sides of the brushes are catching the armature causing the drag. if these brushes dont work where should i look for a replacement? they dont sell aftermarket starter motors apparently and the electronics place here wantS $100 to rebuild it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Apr 2018 06:38 #782399 by agrestixrock
Replied by agrestixrock on topic 81 kz650 low voltage to cdi box
RESOLVED! Finally took it to the bike shop to have a perfessional oppinion. The guy looking at it has built many kz drag bikes and he was stumped for about 2 weeks. Finally determined the pickup coils and ic ignitor were shot. Went to a dyna s ignition and i have spark!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.