No spark at any plug. Bad ignitor?

More
05 Aug 2017 16:22 - 13 Aug 2017 12:13 #768407 by mnike000
No spark at any plug. Bad ignitor? was created by mnike000
Hi guys, I've been reading around on these forums and based on what I've read, it seems that I probably have a bad ignitor, but I'd like to be sure, and the start of my problems may have some additional diagnostic value to you all.
My 81 KZ550 was running well when I laid it down. I tried to start it up after repairing some minor things, but didn't realize that the yellow/red wire to the voltage regulator and the black/yellow ground wire coming off the battery terminal were both disconnected. When I hit the starter it seemed to very briefly fire but then the starter would just turn. Is there something I likely shorted/broke by trying to start it with those wires disconnected?
So now I have a fully charged battery and no spark from either coil (spark plugs, wires and caps are all about two months old.) I have checked voltage and resistance at a number of places:
-ignition coil primaries: 2.6 and 2.7 Ohm
-ignition coil secondaries: 12.4 and 12.8 KOhm Is this too low?
-Voltage at ignition coils and ignitor power line is 11.8-12 V
-There is no resistance between ignitor ground and battery negative
-Pickup coils measured between gun/black and red/yel were both ~450 Ohm
-I also performed the screwdriver test on the pickup coils and got no spark. (I had the key positioned to "on", grounded one plug from each coil to the head, and touched the screwdriver to the pickup coil terminal.)

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I'd like to be as sure as possible that it's the ignitor before buying one.

Also, does anyone know if part numbers 21119-1039 or 21119-1041 will work? The igniter I have is 21119-1020 which is apparently the same as 21119-1040. Thanks again.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2017 12:13 by mnike000. Reason: added an additional part to the question, fixed pickup coil resistance values

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2017 17:51 #768887 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic No spark at any plug. Bad ignitor?
Since it was running before you laid it down and now no spark anywhere I would look for the single point of failure for both coils. Start with the Run/Stop switch. That switch powers the ignition. I'll have to look, at a wiring diagram but so can you for the wire colors and what should be providing 12v to the Ignition module (Igniter?)

I doubt that you killed it by trying to start it with wires disconnected.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar
The following user(s) said Thank You: mnike000

More
12 Aug 2017 17:59 #768888 by jdvorchak
this might help you. You have to have 12v on the red/yellow wire on the IC Igntor from the run/stop switch. And of course the black/yellow is ground. Just pull that 4 pin to the IC Igntor and make sure you have those voltages. My bet is you don't have 12v from run switch to the ignitor

gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.co...8kawKz550C1_Euro.jpg

John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

More
13 Aug 2017 12:15 #768925 by mnike000
Replied by mnike000 on topic No spark at any plug. Bad ignitor?
Thanks for your help @jdvorchak. I have 12V at the start/stop switch, ignitor, and ignition coils. I got another ignitor and tried it out today, but nothing changed..

More
13 Aug 2017 20:02 #768973 by jdvorchak
From your description it almost has to be the pickups. But both of them? Never seen that before. Double check your wiring from the pickups to the IC Ignitor. Maybe in the crash it pulled those wires. Or even maybe slid the plate or the loosened the magnet on the end of the crank. Now it's so far out of time it won't fire. I don't remember where the timing marks are but it's worth checking timing.

John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

More
13 Aug 2017 20:27 #768976 by mnike000
I don't have a timing light unfortunately, but I may be able to bower one. Is there a way to simulate the signal from the pickups with them disconnected in order to see if everything downstream works properly?

More
13 Aug 2017 22:25 #768980 by jdvorchak
Best way to see if downstream is working is to remove the spark plugs and hook them back up with the ground touching the head and crank it. Run stop to run, ignition on etc. See if you have any spark on any or all of the plugs. If no spark then look for the wiring between the pickups and the *IC Ignitor box. That wire, if like mine, runs from the right front engine cover, underneath, back alone the frame and up the rear engine cradle to the Ignitor box.

John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

More
14 Aug 2017 05:27 #768989 by mnike000
Ya I've tested for spark that way and have nothing on all 4 plugs. Im familiar with the pickup wiring. Can I just jump the two (blue/blk or red/yel) together and complete the circuit to generate a signal to the IC Ignitor?

More
14 Aug 2017 08:31 #769000 by jdvorchak
The pickups are "hall effect sensors" and that's about all I know about them They generate a signal when a magnet is swung by them. As for testing them I'm not sure how to do it. Sorry. I've only ever tested them with an ohmmeter and seeing if the resistance matches the service manual test. I guess you could try waving a magnet close to the pickup with ignition on and see if it generates a spark on two of the spark plugs.

John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

More
14 Aug 2017 08:33 #769001 by jdvorchak

mnike000 wrote: Ya I've tested for spark that way and have nothing on all 4 plugs. Im familiar with the pickup wiring. Can I just jump the two (blue/blk or red/yel) together and complete the circuit to generate a signal to the IC Ignitor?

Not sure that will do anything. They actually generate a small voltage when the magnet swings by them. Shorting them would do nothing in my opinion.

John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

More
14 Aug 2017 19:25 #769046 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No spark at any plug. Bad ignitor?
If not already done, would assure the igniter has a good ground (usually via black/yellow wire).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Aug 2017 08:13 #769066 by mnike000
Ya I verified that resistance between the ground wire and battery neg was 0, but I'll try providing an additional direct ground to it as I'm desperate to try anything..