78 KZ650 B2 Charging/ignition system upgrades

More
13 Apr 2016 08:32 - 13 Apr 2016 08:34 #720714 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 78 KZ650 B2 Charging/ignition system upgrades

Gordy wrote:

QCkaw wrote: I thought I read somewhere that the 650 rotor will work, seeing as it and the 750 both use permanent (or solid-state) magnets. I think the difference in form and function is only in the stator/fieild, when comparing single-phase and 3-phase.

But like you, I wouldn't mind some confirmation on this....?

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm not 100% confident that my sh775 will work with single phase. I've 90% completed the rewire so I will find out soon enough!

As long as the regulator is designed to treat each phase independently you can get away with using a 3-phase reg/rec with a 1-phase system. It does put more stress on the reg/rec since two circuits would then have to do the work of three. But in the world of factory reg/recs from the last 35 years or so, they seem to handle it fine.

(Older reg/recs used a design where each shunt triggered the next shunt, so you had to have the correct order of phase wires. Notice the oldest of the Kz's have stator wires that are color coded for proper sequence. They kept this color sequence for a few years even after they transitioned to non-sequenced regulators, so the sequence doesn't actually matter on most Kz's. If you were to use one of these sequenced regulators with single phase, you might get poor regulation. Chances are, you couldn't find one of these in service anyway.)

Whenever you rewire, it wouldn't hurt to run one extra phase wire from the stator housing to the reg/rec area. Then you won't have to open the loom if you find you need 3-phase.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 08:34 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2016 08:38 #720716 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 78 KZ650 B2 Charging/ignition system upgrades

QCkaw wrote: I thought I read somewhere that the 650 rotor will work, seeing as it and the 750 both use permanent (or solid-state) magnets. I think the difference in form and function is only in the stator/fieild, when comparing single-phase and 3-phase.

Many reported using various 3-phase factory 650/750 stators without a problem. However, it would probably be a good idea to compare the outside diameter of the stator circle to make sure there won't be a physical interference. If the stator diameter is significan'ty smaller, there may be an efficiency issue, but you might still get more total output than a 1-phase.

More
13 Apr 2016 11:56 #720747 by Gordy

Nessism wrote:

Gordy wrote:

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm not 100% confident that my sh775 will work with single phase. I've 90% completed the rewire so I will find out soon enough!

I'd upgrade the system to 3 phase for sure. More charging system power. The advantage of the SH775 is that it won't stress out your stator and cause it to fail. Rewring the charging system is easy so no worry with bypassing the stock harness in this regard.

I'm already doing a complete rewire at this point so I'm not concerned by another thing to add. My concern is what parts I will need and who even stocks new ones at reasonable rates.