Electrical woes - short problems

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Aug 2013 22:24 #600346 by phillyman2633
Replied by phillyman2633 on topic Electrical woes - short problems
Messed around with it some more. I followed one of the white/red wired into the igniter (I think), horizontally situated under the regulator. The wire was running pretty hot in there as well. Couldn't find any sort of grounding problem yet. What a pain in the ass.

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Aug 2013 09:10 #600378 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Electrical woes - short problems
If the wires are running hot, its usually do to poor connections. If the connection is poor it makes resistance, with equates to heat. It is also possible that this is you fuse problem. The glass type of fuse can be loose or dirty where it fits in the clips at the fuse box. Any extra resistance builds heat and could make it pop. What does the fuse box itself look like, heat damaged like the power wires?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2013 15:46 #600441 by phillyman2633
Replied by phillyman2633 on topic Electrical woes - short problems
No, I don't see any heat damage on the fuse box but I did switch to the newer fuse type, you can see in my pic. I got in a replacement fuse box that takes the newer type ATC fuses, I'll be installing that sometime this weekend. If you look at my picture, you can see the one wire is all black at the connection. I clipped the wire just past the connector and added on a new male/female connector. When I put it back together and started it up, they still ran hot, but the fuse didn't blow, whereas before it would blow literally half a second after I turned on the turn signal. So I'm making progress at least.

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson