Battery keeps dying

More
27 Jul 2013 00:45 #598497 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Battery keeps dying
The battery is filled with electrolyte. It has the correct amount in it. When I did the draw test I disconnected the negative battery cable and put one multimeter tip on the negative side of the batter and the other on the battery cable and I got a reading of 0.02 which I figure is about normal. When I revved the engine to test the charging the bikes headlight was on. I didn't test it with any turn signals or high beams. I watched a youtube video on how to test the R/R and they said to do it a different way than you just described so tomorrow I'll take another reading of it doing it that way.

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Jul 2013 00:53 #598503 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Battery keeps dying
.02? What DC volts, or Amp's?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
27 Jul 2013 00:56 #598504 by nickleo373
The meter was set to DC volts

1981 KZ550C LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
More
27 Jul 2013 00:58 #598505 by Motor Head
You want to test for DC Amp's when doing the Draw test. Hopefully it will be 0. There should be Nothing drawing from the battery at All when key is off.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
27 Jul 2013 01:00 #598506 by nickleo373
Thanks. I'll give it another shot tomorrow on the amps setting

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
27 Jul 2013 01:24 #598509 by nickleo373
I gave into my curiosity and checked with the AMPS setting :P It's reading 0.0 so I'm assuming there's no draw. I just remembered the two times the battery died I left the kill switch on the run setting. Does the bike draw power if the kill switch is on but the key is off?

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
27 Jul 2013 01:39 #598516 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Battery keeps dying

nickleo373 wrote: ...just remembered the two times the battery died I left the kill switch on the run setting. Does the bike draw power if the kill switch is on but the key is off?

Nope. Lots of us just leave the kill switch in RUN position and forget about it.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
More
27 Jul 2013 09:52 #598537 by Motor Head

nickleo373 wrote: I gave into my curiosity and checked with the AMPS setting :P It's reading 0.0 so I'm assuming there's no draw. I just remembered the two times the battery died I left the kill switch on the run setting. Does the bike draw power if the kill switch is on but the key is off?

Not supposed to. Go back and do the test again, be sure the meter is set to 10 DC Amp's. You may well have to move the red lead to a different socket in your meter.
With the meter at the battery cable, turn the Start/ Stop switch ON. If the bike is wired correctly, it should still read 0. Only when you turn the ignition Switch ON should the Start/ Run switch have power through it.
Did you do the AC Volt test, black wire on Battery negative, Red lead at R/R Red wire Bullet connector before the battery Positive? With it running of course. So if you can measure any AC Vots. If it measures less than 1/2 a volt, .5 ACV, that's fine. But if you get much more like a volt or more. Then your Rectifier has a leaking diode. Then I would replace the R/R assy.

More
27 Jul 2013 14:51 #598567 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Battery keeps dying
Two possibiloities come to mind.

One:
If you are only running the bike while doing tests, and not actually riding it any real distance, the battery may be draining, but not getting enough time to recharge. It takes a good 10 minutes of sustained riding to fully recharge from a cold start.

The 550's, when working properly, will get to about 14.2 to 14.6 max, when revving. If it shows higher, it's usually due to voltage losses in the sensing circuit (brown wire to the reg/rec).

Two:
If you are riding it for a decent amount of time, it could be the regulator is failing. The most common way for these reg/recs to fail from old age, that I've seen, is they lose voltage over the course of a ride. At first they appear fine under brief tests. Revving will show 14v+. But on a long ride, the 14v will gradually reduce to under 12v. It's difficult to diagrnose because you have to ride it for over a half hour with a voltmeter attached and watch the voltage.

More
27 Jul 2013 15:35 #598572 by nickleo373
Thanks for the replies everyone. I still have to run the r/r test again when i get off work later. Loudvhx that could be a possibility. The bike is still being worked on because after running for a minute it starts to smoke from somewhere and i dont want to run it and risk breaking something. I've only actually rode it 20 feet on my driveway. It might not have enough time to charge

1981 KZ550C LTD