Starter Brushes

More
14 May 2013 11:30 #587327 by Cajun
Replied by Cajun on topic Starter Brushes
I am having a similar issue. At first my solenoid was not even clicking, but I cleaned every wire, replaced the battery and fixed two shorts. Now it clicks. Bridging the terminals on the solenoid does nothing. I recently pulled the starter and after a bit of struggle could get it to spin slowly a few times. I could not get the screws off to try cleaning the inside of the starter. Should I try again? Or her a rebuild kit first. Basically is it possible to fix the starter without rebuilding, by just cleaning it up.

1978 KZ650 D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2013 20:31 #587981 by Spectre1982
Replied by Spectre1982 on topic Starter Brushes
Get a rebuild kit. It only costs $30-$40 bucks and it's extremely easy to do. Make sure to scribe or mark a line down the starter housing. This will keep everything oriented in the proper direction when reassembling. Basically all you do is take it apart and you'll see right away if the brushes are worn or not. A bunch of black dust will come out if they're toast. Clean everything up, test for shorts, slap in the new parts from the rebuild kit and put it back together. The first time I did it, I ziptied all the brushes in place. This time, I just removed the springs, slid in the brushes, popped the springs back on. Much easier that way. Good luck.

I went ahead and got a new rebuild kit for mine for a temp fix. I'm going to get a reman starter as soon as I can find a reasonable price. The old KZ starter still doesn't want to turn when motor is at operating temp.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)

More
17 May 2013 20:39 - 17 May 2013 20:45 #587985 by Spectre1982
Replied by Spectre1982 on topic Starter Brushes
Cajun, as far as not being able to get the screws off, mine was like that too. I took a pair of vice grips and grabbed the middle of the screw and got it off like that. I made a quick diagram for reference. Lock the vice grips where the black arrow is on the picture attachment and turn it loose. It marred the screw a bit, but I got it apart.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 May 2013 20:45 by Spectre1982.

More
19 May 2013 20:17 #588228 by Cajun
Replied by Cajun on topic Starter Brushes
Got the starter working. It was filled with oil. Thanks for the tips on getting it open. Really helped. I cleaned it up and then crafted a new starter button with a dremmel and a rubber stopper. My shins are going to be thrilled.

1978 KZ650 D1