Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coil power 06 Jul 2006 09:38 #59656

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The OEM electronic ignition is superior to the Dyna S in my opinion. The only part that costs a lot is the ignitor box which can be substituted by a $30 one you can make.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil power 06 Jul 2006 10:59 #59673

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
What is superior? If you use an OEM ignition, it is the pickup coils and igniter (purposely ignoring other components since this is a Dyna S comparison). Please explain whether the home made igniter used with the OEM pickup coils OR the OEM ignitor with OEM pickup coils is superior. If one or both are superior, give an explanation. Also, is there an easy to follow write up for making your own ignitor replacement? I have seen references to Loudhvx's statement that there is an easy to make home made alternative but can't recall seeing this written up. Also, can the bits needed be had at a Radioshack or does one need to go to an electronics specialty place to get the stuff?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Coil power 06 Jul 2006 11:58 #59681

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
wiredgeorge wrote:

What is superior? If you use an OEM ignition, it is the pickup coils and igniter (purposely ignoring other components since this is a Dyna S comparison). Please explain whether the home made igniter used with the OEM pickup coils OR the OEM ignitor with OEM pickup coils is superior. If one or both are superior, give an explanation. Also, is there an easy to follow write up for making your own ignitor replacement? I have seen references to Loudhvx's statement that there is an easy to make home made alternative but can't recall seeing this written up. Also, can the bits needed be had at a Radioshack or does one need to go to an electronics specialty place to get the stuff?

The OEM system with OEM ignitor is more reliable. That alone makes it superior in my opinion. But it also has a few other advantages.

If you accidently leave the OEM ignition "on", the ignitor and the coils won't be damaged.

In the OEM, the dwell structure puts less stress on the coils and uses much less power. This means it also has a lower current requirement for the wires and switches.

The long-winded details have been discussed at length many times on KZrider.

I don't know if the $30 homemade ignitor is as reliable as the OEM since it only has a few thousand miles on it (and about a year). However, the ignitor uses two GM HEI modules available at any auto-parts store, and is being used in a far less stressfull application than in the V-8 application (less current and less duty cycle). It is also mounted to a heat sink exposed to air. In a V-8 distributor it gets real hot. On the bike it barely gets warm. It should last longer than it would in a car.

The 3 other nickel-and-dime parts are available at Radio Shack.

This has been gone over many times on KZrider but the search doesn't work well.

It's also been covered to death on the archive site.

here's the link to the details:
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/07/06 15:19

Coil power 06 Jul 2006 14:01 #59704

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
  • Thank you received: 2
I guess these dynas do go bad, are they better than
oem, I dont know, but the unit i sent back to dyna looked like my dog chewed on her. There mailing me a new one ya hoo, try that with oem. I love these dynas
now. Excellent people to deal with.
1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

Coil power 07 Jul 2006 06:23 #59876

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
ALL kawasaki use the parts bin engineering method
many variations of box combinations do very well.

it is the oem pick up coils that are the key to reliability!! the insulation around and materials of the core and coil. they resist heat and vibration better than any manuf.

the gpzs' box brain have a simple wiring set up with minimal saftey circut.

kz1000 P cop pick up coils generic backing plate.

trippivot@hotmail for any help

• Page: