Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can't keep her running--any ideas 31 Oct 2005 17:46 #5743

• Sputnic81
  • Sputnic81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well at long last I have my '82 KZ 440 LTD D2 in my garage.

I have spent many long hours in my garage cleaning and re-working the carbs etc.

I finally got everything up to par and turned it over. A little fuel and she started right up. Then without warning, I lost all spark at both plugs (back to the drawing board).

I then went through the connections of the wiring harness at the coil, starter switch, ignitor, and pick-up. I took each connection apart, sanded the male connector and squeezed the female end tight. I also made sure the wires were securely seated in the connectors and checked for any corrosion there. Once that was done, I tried again and it turned over twice and started right up.

I went back two days later, and again no spark.

I am assuming that if the coil, ignitor or pick-up were going bad that it would not come and go. Does anyone have any other ideas, I am running out.

Thanks

Rip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can't keep her running--any ideas 31 Oct 2005 20:48 #5798

• Walt
  • Visitor
If you have a FSM you will find the tests for the ignitor. I would start there.

Can't keep her running--any ideas 01 Nov 2005 03:31 #5842

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
If it's an intermittant problem you're going to have to find it when it's not working or do some serious detective work.

I suggest you check all your ground connections related to the ignition circuit and also check your kill and ignition switches for intermittant connection/shorts along with inspection of wiring harness for pinched and shorting/opening wire. Don't forget fuse block, fuse, and connection between fuse and block. Buddies XS650 was running rough and it was corrosion on fuse connection. I found accidently by riding with the seat off and getting my butt burned by the hot fuse.

Pickups and ignitor generally work right or fail when hot.
Tests for these are 'in the book'.

-Duck

Can't keep her running--any ideas 01 Nov 2005 07:15 #5873

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Rip, Troubleshoot the problem. Look at what could be wrong initially:

1. ignition component failed
2. no power to coils

The easiest thing to check is also the most likely reason for failure. Get a multimeter....

Turn on your key. Put the multimeter into 20VDC scale or something similar and put the negative lead on the frame where you can get a good ground and the positive on the power wire lug on the coil. You should see ~12.5 VDC. If you don't have any power, the problem lies not in your ignition electronics but in the power path to the coils. Power goes from fuse area to ignition switch via a connector. Out of the ignition switch to kill switch via a connector. Out of kill switch via a connector to a plug on wiring harness where the wire to your coil plugs in. You can test for voltage at each connector. A common problem area is the kill switch. To check, you can open up your switch gear and see where the wire goes INTO the kill switch and where it comes out. Check where it goes in and then with the switch on "RUN" where it goes out. By checking voltages along the path, you WILL find the place where it stops prior to getting to your coils...

IF YOU HAVE VOLTAGE TO THE COILS, then you need to start checking the ignition. You will need a manual for this which outlines procedures for checking the pikcup coils, igniter box and last and most unlikely for coil failure.

I bet if you have no spark, you have some small problem keeping power from getting to the coils. Check this way first.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Can't keep her running--any ideas 02 Nov 2005 20:51 #6208

• Sputnic81
  • User
Well I know I have power at the coil. I have misplaced my shop manual during the 5 yrs that the bike sat in storage. If anyone can post the testing specs for the coil and the ignitor, I would greatly appreciate it. I know that book is around here somewhere--guess I won't find it until I buy a new one though.

I am tracking down the other suggestions, thanks for the help I will keep you all posted.

Rip

Can't keep her running--any ideas 09 Nov 2005 06:03 #7298

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor

Can't keep her running--any ideas 09 Nov 2005 13:37 #7378

• Idaho_Spud
  • User
You might take apart and clean all the bullet connectors going to your fuse box, as well as cleaning the fuses and clips.

I had the electrical auxiliaries (taillight, turn signals, gage lights) fail when their connector to the fuse box became corroded. There is a separate circuit for the ignition coils.

With that condition as a possible failure, check the electrical print in your owner's manual and find the wire that goes back from the coil to the fuse box. See what color the wire is, then check that wires' bullet connector and fuse clip.

Can't keep her running--any ideas 13 Nov 2005 12:19 #8041

• Sputnic81
  • User
FINALLY!!!
Got it fired up again last night. Finally discovered that the pick-up coil was my problem. I paid $25 for a used one at a local shop and it running again now. Next step is painting.

Rip

• Page: