Harness wire gauge size?

More
06 Oct 2012 13:20 #552759 by dsp
Harness wire gauge size? was created by dsp
I am going to build a new wiring harness on my 82' GPZ 550 over the winter and wanted to double check on the size of the stock wiring. I want to go up a gauge size since the factory wiring was pushing its limits. Looking at the size, it mostly seems to be 18g, I just wanted to see if anyone knows for sure what size was originally used. It will be nice to have a harness with sealed and unburned connectors.

82 GPZ 550
4-1 exhaust
Pods
Bike came with Dyna S ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2012 18:21 #553676 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Harness wire gauge size?
I recently made a harness for mine. Go to riwire.com for wire and vintageconnections.com for the connectors. They have everything you need.

It's mostly 18, which is what I mainly used. I put in 16 where I felt it would be necessary. Soldered all my crimps and splices, generous use to heat shrink. Its now better than stock IMO.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler
The following user(s) said Thank You: dsp

More
17 Oct 2012 17:59 #554364 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Harness wire gauge size?
I'll list what I remember for wire sizes and what they are used in:

18 gauge: Turn signal wiring,instrument wiring, and stop/running light wiring.

16 gauge: Igniton wiring,fuse holder wiring for higher draw(amps)circuits like the headlight.

12 gauge: Even higher current circuits, like for the 20 and 30 amp main fuse.

8 guage: The size supplied for the battery cables(I upgraded my cables to 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cables, for increased current capability.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dsp, payton76

More
17 Oct 2012 18:38 #554373 by dsp
Replied by dsp on topic Harness wire gauge size?
Thank you Mike and T_dub, that was the information I was looking for. Unfortunately I might end up getting the new harness finished before I figure the darn ignition relay problem I have now.

82 GPZ 550
4-1 exhaust
Pods
Bike came with Dyna S ignition

More
18 Feb 2013 12:57 - 18 Feb 2013 14:07 #573008 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Harness wire gauge size?
Dredging up and older conversation, I know, but as I am close to the point of ordering in the wire and fitting to make up a new wiring hareness as well, I figured it would be a decent time to chime in here and get some of the specifics.

Following Mfolks advice on where to use the heavier gauge wires, and upgrading the main battery and starter cable to 6ga instead of 8ga is how I am going to start.

A few other questions tho:

Tdub - you said you were going to use 16ga in a few other places as appropriate. Could you elaborate? Also, did you find a good Canadian source for large amounts of shrink wrap? Ive been stuck buying it a CT, and it is waaay to expensive if I plan on doing the whole bike that way...

Mfolks - Is there a good reason not to just use 16ga pretty much everywhere except for the places that really have super fine wiring? (Ie: instrument cluster lights...) I mean, there would be a slight decrease in resistance through the wires vs. a stock wire at 18ga correct? Or is it simply a matter of wasted money and weight, as there would be no real advantage in going to higher guage wire for low amperage circuits.

Thanks all. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one.

Cheers!

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 14:07 by Jonny. Reason: Forgot some of the basics principals of electronics.... *sigh*

More
18 Feb 2013 13:01 #573010 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Harness wire gauge size?
Oh, and an unfortunate side note. Vintage connections will no longer ship to Canada. I didn't write to ask why, but I suspect it doesn''t really mattter since they just don't do it any longer.

So, I guess I need to figure out how to get a post office box on the US side of the border or some such. Unless there is anyone living near the Niagara/Buffalo area in the States who would be willing to act as a mailing address who I could then pick up the package from?

If there a KZ'er in that area, I'd be mighty grateful if that could be arranged.

Cheers!

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

More
18 Feb 2013 16:04 #573034 by MFolks
16 gauge wire, if bundled together, will have a slightly larger diameter than 18 gauge will, especially if you're going to run wires inside a handlebar, or other confined spaces.

There are thinner insulation wires available,so read this:

www.awcwire.com/FAQ-Automotive-Wire.aspx

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
18 Feb 2013 18:16 - 18 Feb 2013 18:21 #573052 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic Harness wire gauge size?
Jonny- if you can't get your shipping issue worked out give Eastern Beaver a try. www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

BTW eastern beaver was the only place I could readily find 2.5 mm bullet connectors.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 18:21 by pig9r.

More
18 Feb 2013 19:25 #573065 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Harness wire gauge size?
I live in Toronto,Canada and ordered all my electrical needs from CYCLE-RE-CYCLE PART II and can be reached at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com . Good Luck.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

More
19 Feb 2013 00:57 #573115 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Harness wire gauge size?

Jonny wrote:
Also, did you find a good Canadian source for large amounts of shrink wrap? Ive been stuck buying it a CT, and it is waaay to expensive if I plan on doing the whole bike that way.

B !

For heat shrink I go to Princess Auto. Much better deal than CT. they have a location at the east end of Hamilton.
Last time I looked they seemed to have a good selection of wire

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
19 Feb 2013 15:28 #573185 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic Harness wire gauge size?
Johnny, if your still having problems finding elec. connectors try any marine place where you live, many of them carry the identical type of connectors we use for our bikes. Don't forget to use a proper double crimp type of crimper, this will save you headaches later on.

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
19 Feb 2013 16:56 #573193 by MFolks
www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination (The Good, Bad, & Ugly of Crimpers).

1982 GPZ1100 B2