'82 Spectre Coil issues

More
16 Jul 2012 12:40 #536311 by 53sled
Replied by 53sled on topic '82 Spectre Coil issues
Hello,

I picked up a 79 z400 and started cleaning. I was able to hear it run with a jump start. I let it idle 3-4 minutes, ran up the street and back, dies and wouldn't restart, so I tried to jump it again. The old Battery has gone bad, but I'm trying to get the carbs set right before I buy a battery and get tags.
Spinning motor over, coil pops and smokes. It is an aftermarket emgo, (just has a sticker) has 2 ohms resistance across the poles. Also the bike has BR7ES plugs.

My question, could it be the wrong style coil + resistor plugs smoked the coil? I bought it this way, not running, so I don't have an original to test. It only sat not running with jumper cables applied and key on for 2 minutes tops. I was fumbling with a bare spark plug to see if it was a good spark or not. As soon as I hwent to hit the start button I smelled smoke.

It looks the same as the universal emgo on bikebandit, part number 2416572. The one I have does have two different length plug wires on it, but no other markings. Could stuck points points/ bad condenser have caused it? I don't want to fry another one, so any help is appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a bunch of parts for one, mine is missing a few things.

Thanks,
David

Snitches get stitches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.