12 cell Ballistic battery for push-button 1428cc?

More
26 Jun 2012 23:33 #532018 by steell
Latest issue of Motorcyclist has a test of several different Lithium batteries. The worst one was also the most expensive, while Ballistic was at the top.

Higher starting voltage and much quicker recovery than the lead acid batteries. Only time will tell how long they last though.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2012 23:38 #532020 by steell

bountyhunter wrote:

steell wrote: Series parallel to get the required voltage "and" amperage. IIRC the one in my 750 twin is an 8 cell.

It's like eight individual tubes glued together.

Interesting. The parallel cell thing is risky because if one cell develops a "problem" (Like an internal short) the cells in parallel will unload their full energy load into the bad cell. Methinks not what I want riding three inches beneath the family jewels..... :laugh:

How's that different than an internal short in a lead acid battery? I yanked a smoking hot 12V lead acid battery out of my truck (tractor trailer type). :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
27 Jun 2012 02:39 - 27 Jun 2012 02:41 #532043 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 12 cell Ballistic battery for push-button 1428cc?

steell wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

steell wrote: Series parallel to get the required voltage "and" amperage. IIRC the one in my 750 twin is an 8 cell.

It's like eight individual tubes glued together.

Interesting. The parallel cell thing is risky because if one cell develops a "problem" (Like an internal short) the cells in parallel will unload their full energy load into the bad cell. Methinks not what I want riding three inches beneath the family jewels..... :laugh:

How's that different than an internal short in a lead acid battery? I yanked a smoking hot 12V lead acid battery out of my truck (tractor trailer type). :woohoo:

Internal shorts on lead-acid are extraordinarily rare (I haven't seen one). I suspect Pb's that fail that way were abused by the charging system. Lithium batteries are prone to internal shorts, it plagued the first Li-Ion batteries. It put one company (Valence Technology) out of business when a bunch of Li batteries they shipped to the Army for night vision goggles started failing with internal shorts causing them to heat up and fry the user. The Li Polymer batteries are very bad, Li-Fe are supposed to be better but still not going under my seat. The other problem is Li rechargeables need a fairly tight final charge voltage which the typical MC electrical system does not provide.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Jun 2012 02:41 by bountyhunter.

More
27 Jun 2012 16:15 #532130 by saxjonz

steell wrote: Latest issue of Motorcyclist has a test of several different Lithium batteries. The worst one was also the most expensive, while Ballistic was at the top.

Higher starting voltage and much quicker recovery than the lead acid batteries. Only time will tell how long they last though.[/quote
They are supposed to outlast any of the traditional batteries and they do not run down on charge when not used in a long time like conventional batteries do. Well, I hope my battery performs as advertised. The word is still out. I will keep you all posted.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
27 Jun 2012 17:47 #532143 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic 12 cell Ballistic battery for push-button 1428cc?
I didn't read through this entire thread, apologies if this was already mentioned; but make sure your voltage regulator and rectifier are up to snuff. If not, replace them before installing the Li battery

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!