• Page:

TOPIC:

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 01:52 #523490

• jess
  • jess's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello wizards

My bike is an 83 kaw gpz1100. Fuel injection system was removed long ago before I
bought the bike and 34mm mikuni installed. Bike has original coils. I bought new Dyna coils
that are 3 OHM with the accompanying plug wires. I tried hooking up these coils and could
not get the bike to run. The bike has an ic igniter. I first had to make custom brackets and
wire attachments to coils. Tried reversing wires. I wired up this beast so that left side coil
runs cylinder number 1 and 4. Right side coil powers cylinder 2 and 3. Still no luck. Am I missing
something here. Is the ignition system on this bike not compatible for dyna coils.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 02:14 #523491

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I believe you've got the ignition coils wired the wrong way, as normally the LEFT ignition coil fires #1 and #4, with the RIGHT inition coil fires #2 and #3.

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs(your primary wiring may be different).

The 550’s, 650’s, 700’s & 750’s are backwards to what is listed for the bigger 4’s.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod. Your primary wiring may have a different color.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together, so it makes no difference which is used, as long as the correct coil to sparkplug configuration is followed.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS(5000), any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered. When re-installing the old or new sparkplug caps, cut about ¼” off the sparkplug wires for a new un-corroded connection.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.
Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s, 650‘s,700’s, and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

An indication of black and sooty sparkplugs may not mean a carb or carbs are in need of cleaning, but may mean the input voltage is low.

When checking the input voltage to the ignition coils, first have a fully charged battery, and the using a multimeter, set it up to measure VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

Put the RED probe from the multimeter on the same terminal that either a RED wire or ones that’s RED with YELLOW stripe, and the BLACK probe on either a good frame/Earth ground or the battery Negative(-) terminal/post.

Depending on the motorcycles current draw( lighting, and other high amp needs) the reading might be 10 volts or more, but if the reading is down around 8 volts or less, this indicates a corrosion or wiring problem needs correcting to improve input voltage to the coils.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

And here's how to ohm test the pick up or Pulsing coils, the ones inside the CD sized right engine cover:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup(Pulsing) coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(BEHIND A RIGHT SIDE, CD SIZED COVER) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS. The 550’s,650’s & 750’s may be backwards to the Z1’s,Kz900’s,Kz1000’s & Kz1100’s.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 02:22 #523492

• jess
  • User
My bike is an 83 gpz 1100

I have the left coil powering cylinder 1 and 4 and the right coil powering 2 and 3

This is what I have now...are you saying it's wired wrong

Thanks Jess

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 02:42 #523493

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Yep, change the primary wiring(small wires)as the pick up coils are firing the wrong coil through the IC Igniter(it actually gives the ignition coils their grounds, sparking the plugs).
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 02:51 #523494

• jess
  • User
I thought it didn't matter about the small wires on dyna coils as long as the small left wires went to each respective
coil. In other words, each coil has two small wires, these positions don't matter on dyna coils as there is no positive
or negative marks.

There are pos and neg marks the original coils.

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 08:41 #523507

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

jess wrote: I thought it didn't matter about the small wires on dyna coils as long as the small left wires went to each respective coil. In other words, each coil has two small wires, these positions don't matter on dyna coils as there is no positive or negative marks.
There are pos and neg marks the original coils.

Am uncertain of reason for pos and neg marks on the original coils.

Am thinking the following illustration would be applicable to the situation at hand with Dyna coils.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 15:02 #523562

• jess
  • User
Many thanks to Mfolks and Patton. I will go back with what both of you said and see what
I have.

Thanks. Jess

3 OHM dyna coils on 83 gpz 1100 20 May 2012 15:13 #523566

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

jess wrote: Is the ignition system on this bike not compatible for dyna coils.

Are you getting any spark?

If so, maybe the igniter wires are reversed to the coils. The 1-4 and 2-3 fire 180 out from each other if I understand it correctly, so you have to get them right. That would be the green and black wires in picture above.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.
  • Page: