return to points

More
10 May 2012 23:24 #521385 by Rev
return to points was created by Rev
My dyna s ignition died for the second time, so I am reverting back to points (at least for now). My question is can I still use my Dyna 3ohm coils and cables with the points?

78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2012 00:00 #521402 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic return to points
I see no problem,primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms. Some of the higher performance seekers are using the 2.2 ohm Dyna coils, but it's only useable at very high rpm's

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 May 2012 00:08 #521405 by Rev
Replied by Rev on topic return to points
Thanks I was hoping I could use them.
Bill

78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 May 2012 10:33 #521516 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic return to points
Have you contacted Dyna about the Ignition failures? Seems like they would warranty the Ignition for you.
Another avenue would be getting a later model Kaw setup, as they are quite stout and reliable.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 May 2012 11:16 - 12 May 2012 13:36 #521522 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic return to points
Have you ever put a volt meter on the battery to make sure the charging system isn't putting out too much voltage? If it's over 15v, then something is wrong... (possibly the regulator).
Last edit: 12 May 2012 13:36 by loudhvx.

More
11 May 2012 16:09 - 11 May 2012 16:12 #521578 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic return to points

Rev wrote: My dyna s ignition died for the second time, so I am reverting back to points (at least for now). My question is can I still use my Dyna 3ohm coils and cables with the points?

I don't think so. The coil will dissipate too much power and cook. The low impedance (less than four Ohm) coils are OK with electronic ingitions because the coil is not "on" continuously, but with points, the coil current flows a larger percentage of the time and if you leave the key on for any period of time not running... it can be on 100% which will fry it.

Z1 sells a 4 Ohm Emgo coil for use with points that costs $36. It's the one I have been running for about 5 years, works fine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 May 2012 16:12 by bountyhunter.

More
11 May 2012 23:54 #521701 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic return to points
From Z1enterprises' site:
"Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance. For example 3.0 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm CDI ignition. While this isn't optimal, it works and allows you to switch your CDI ignition over to a Dyna-S in the future".

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
12 May 2012 03:40 #521744 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic return to points

bountyhunter wrote:

Rev wrote: My dyna s ignition died for the second time, so I am reverting back to points (at least for now). My question is can I still use my Dyna 3ohm coils and cables with the points?

I don't think so. The coil will dissipate too much power and cook. The low impedance (less than four Ohm) coils are OK with electronic ingitions because the coil is not "on" continuously, but with points, the coil current flows a larger percentage of the time and if you leave the key on for any period of time not running... it can be on 100% which will fry it.

Z1 sells a 4 Ohm Emgo coil for use with points that costs $36. It's the one I have been running for about 5 years, works fine.

Actually, the Dyna S dwell is well over 300 degrees. The points are around 180 degrees. So if the coils can handle the Dyna S, they can surely handle the points.

The points, however, will have a shorter life with the 3 ohm coil over the 4 ohm coil, but will still work. Many have run 3 ohm coils with points.

In the case of leaving the ignition on, with the motor not turning, in extreme cases, people have reported coils melted into a blob of plastic and copper... definitely bad.

More
12 May 2012 05:54 #521750 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic return to points

loudhvx wrote: Have you ever put a volt meter on the battery to make sure the charging system is putting out too much voltage? If it's over 15v, then something is wrong... (possibly the regulator).

Do this first! If there is voltage spikes you will just be burning up points. Make sure the ground from the voltage regulator is getting a good ground. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 May 2012 10:04 - 12 May 2012 10:05 #521759 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic return to points
Maybe I'm just been lucky with my Dyna... :)

From a technical perspective I'm with Loud on this one where why did it kill two EI units... Something is just not right here and I'd be looking at the charging/regulator for as mentioned, should be no higher then 14.5Vdc output regardless of the crank rpm...

If more then that, yup, going to cook something else sooner or later...

Just my two worthless cents...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 12 May 2012 10:05 by Old Man Rock.

More
13 May 2012 20:01 #522127 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic return to points
I have older Andrews 3 ohm coils (blue in color) and older Blue Max plug wires using the stock ign (points & condensers) And it works fine. I did notice the plug wire silicone jackets near the plug boot were turning brown (all 4). So, I believe they are running much hotter. I have a Dyna S ign but still need to install it. So, it will work but it could poss. overload part of your elec system.

I would go over your Ign wiring and look for a gremilin. It could be you had bad luck with 2 bad Dynas, but the odds are pretty rare.

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
13 May 2012 21:48 - 13 May 2012 21:50 #522153 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic return to points
MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THIS:

Electronic ignitions work by having some kind of transistor switch in series with the coil primary. Ergo, there is significant voltage drop across the transistor which reduces the voltage across the coil. That's why elect ignitions went to lower resistance coils: to compensate for the voltage lost, keeping the coil's current fairly constant.

If you use a low impedance coil with points, that put's the full 12V across it (14V engine running) which it was not designed for. It also increases the current through the bike's wiring to a level it was not designed for. Power dissipation in the coil is proportional to voltage SQUARED so the heat increase is significant.

maybe Dyna "overdesigns" it's coils so much they can handle the full 14V system voltage? I would not think so, but maybe. But your bike's wiring and alternator weren't designed for it.

This is the reason Z1 offers this warning:

Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 May 2012 21:50 by bountyhunter.